University of Cincinnati PMHNP Program

Published

Looking for some insight into the Psych Mental Health NP Program with the University of Cincinnati, specifically the post-masters. I was previously enrolled in their PMC-FNP program which was sort of awful; instructors literally read from slides as your lecture and would take days to clarify content (which usually consisted of “refer to page bla bla” rather than a real explanation). I’ve previously taken online classes and this was insulting to say the least. I completed a couple semesters with As and decided to defer but chose to transfer to theit PMHNP program because we have a greater need in my area.

I'm curious to know how others found the PMHNP program at UC. I obviously know self directed learning requires focus and they all have their issues, but rather than applying to other schools, I’d like to commit to this one. However, I’m really nervous it’s going to be similar to the FNP.

How were the final 9 courses (including 3 clinical)? Were instructors helpful and fast with responses? How was testing (i.e., proctored vs unproctored vs papers)? Were you able to have time with your family while completing your studies? How was it finding clinical locations as well as how long it took to get approval? If you took boards, were you prepared by UC and were you successful the first try?

I won’t be starting back until the end of 2020, so I have time. Thanks in advance!

TXNP2020

1 Post

Specializes in FNP. Has 10 years experience.

I just applied for the post masters PMHNP program at UC for Spring 2021. I am still waiting to hear back on an acceptance/denial. Have you started the program yet? Any tips you can offer?

SMZ_DNPstudent

18 Posts

Specializes in ICU,M/S,Onco,SNF. Has 14 years experience.
On 1/15/2020 at 9:25 AM, amberger101 said:

Looking for some insight into the Psych Mental Health NP Program with the University of Cincinnati, specifically the post-masters. I was previously enrolled in their PMC-FNP program which was sort of awful; instructors literally read from slides as your lecture and would take days to clarify content (which usually consisted of “refer to page bla bla” rather than a real explanation). I’ve previously taken online classes and this was insulting to say the least. I completed a couple semesters with As and decided to defer but chose to transfer to theit PMHNP program because we have a greater need in my area.

I'm curious to know how others found the PMHNP program at UC. I obviously know self directed learning requires focus and they all have their issues, but rather than applying to other schools, I’d like to commit to this one. However, I’m really nervous it’s going to be similar to the FNP.

How were the final 9 courses (including 3 clinical)? Were instructors helpful and fast with responses? How was testing (I.e., proctored vs unproctored vs papers)? Were you able to have time with your family while completing your studies? How was it finding clinical locations as well as how long it took to get approval? If you took boards, were you prepared by UC and were you successful the first try?

I won’t be starting back until the end of 2020, so I have time. Thanks in advance!

Hi,

I am about to start with the same program, how did you like PMHNP instructors, courses; have you started clinicals yet?

guest1130657

15 Posts

so I am currently enrolled in the University of Cincinnati Psychiatric mental health NP Program. My classmates and I are not happy with our program. The instructors take forever to respond to our questions and the education we receive is subpar. I have completed two semesters and about to move on to the third semester. We have lost 10 students and I know one of them transferred to another due to poor quality of teaching. I bought a few additional psych books to educate myself as well. The school does not help you with preceptors. They do provide you a list of people to contact, but the list is so old that many of these people are either gone/retired or the practice is closed. If you choose to go to UC, please make sure that you start looking for preceptors. This pandemic has made it really hard to find preceptors or be prepared to pay big bucks to have someone precept you. Companies such as NP Hub charge you $12 per hour and you need 100 hours for peds, 100 hours for adults, 100 hours for geriatric and 168 hours for psychotherapy.

SMZ_DNPstudent

18 Posts

Specializes in ICU,M/S,Onco,SNF. Has 14 years experience.

You were at their FNP then switched to PMHNP, would you say that the instructors in general are not accommodating enough? Do you know were your other classmates went after leaving UC? My friends say the same exact thing (how you described UC), with the schools they were at now.. I guess almost all grad (online) schools are the same.. how about the grading system, are they strict, even if they have “poor quality of teaching”? When is the deadlines for your papers/ assignment/discussion submission and what days usually are the exams? My advisor is something else, not so informative, I know these questions are for him.. can you walk me through how this online class work? thanks for the reply.

SMZ_DNPstudent

18 Posts

Specializes in ICU,M/S,Onco,SNF. Has 14 years experience.
59 minutes ago, AnnaRN said:

so I am currently enrolled in the University of Cincinnati Psychiatric mental health NP Program. My classmates and I are not happy with our program. The instructors take forever to respond to our questions and the education we receive is subpar. I have completed two semesters and about to move on to the third semester. We have lost 10 students and I know one of them transferred to another due to poor quality of teaching. I bought a few additional psych books to educate myself as well. The school does not help you with preceptors. They do provide you a list of people to contact, but the list is so old that many of these people are either gone/retired or the practice is closed. If you choose to go to UC, please make sure that you start looking for preceptors. This pandemic has made it really hard to find preceptors or be prepared to pay big bucks to have someone precept you. Companies such as NP Hub charge you $12 per hour and you need 100 hours for peds, 100 hours for adults, 100 hours for geriatric and 168 hours for psychotherapy.

You were at their FNP then switched to PMHNP, would you say that the instructors in general are not accommodating enough? Do you know were your other classmates went after leaving UC? My friends say the same exact thing (how you described UC), with the schools they were at now.. I guess almost all grad (online) schools are the same.. how about the grading system, are they strict, even if they have “poor quality of teaching”? When is the deadlines for your papers/ assignment/discussion submission and what days usually are the exams? My advisor is something else, not so informative, I know these questions are for him.. can you walk me through how this online class work? thanks for the reply.

SMZ_DNPstudent

18 Posts

Specializes in ICU,M/S,Onco,SNF. Has 14 years experience.

I got confused, you did not go for the FNP, I misread the top @AnnaRN sorry.. newbie here ?

Guest603994

102 Posts

On 5/31/2020 at 4:39 PM, TXNP2020 said:

I just applied for the post masters PMHNP program at UC for Spring 2021. I am still waiting to hear back on an acceptance/denial. Have you started the program yet? Any tips you can offer?

I start back up the 24th of this month. Not really looking forward to it as I have a newborn and 4 year old at home d/t covid and my husband also does shift work. Were you accepted to the program?

On 8/10/2020 at 7:54 PM, SMZ_DNPstudent said:

Hi,

I am about to start with the same program, how did you like PMHNP instructors, courses; have you started clinicals yet?

I'm officially taking psych courses starting the 24th so no clinicals yet. I have all of them lined up but I can't seem to get ahold of anyone to give me specific information and whether or not they started the contracts yet, etc. I haven't even started and I'm already annoyed!

SMZ_DNPstudent

18 Posts

Specializes in ICU,M/S,Onco,SNF. Has 14 years experience.
9 minutes ago, amberger101 said:

I start back up the 24th of this month. Not really looking forward to it as I have a newborn and 4 year old at home d/t covid and my husband also does shift work. Were you accepted to the program?

I'm officially taking psych courses starting the 24th so no clinicals yet. I have all of them lined up but I can't seem to get ahold of anyone to give me specific information and whether or not they started the contracts yet, etc. I haven't even started and I'm already annoyed!

Yes I am to start this 24th as well! After those schools I’ve applied and got accepted, I finally decided to go with UC. Don’t know if I made the right move; I got accepted at LLU but the tuition is mind blowing so I chose the other. Same sentiments here!! The advisor assigned to me, helped me at NOTHING. Takes days to respond. I waa hoping I am going to get help on how to enroll or register; but I ended up finding it for myself! There was another professional/personal advice I asked him, to my surprise he said “ Unfortunately I am not a nurse and I’m not qualified to answer these questions...” then the person he directed me to, only gave me a neutral advice that even your kid could probably answer. ?

Guest603994

102 Posts

1 hour ago, AnnaRN said:

so I am currently enrolled in the University of Cincinnati Psychiatric mental health NP Program. My classmates and I are not happy with our program. The instructors take forever to respond to our questions and the education we receive is subpar. I have completed two semesters and about to move on to the third semester. We have lost 10 students and I know one of them transferred to another due to poor quality of teaching. I bought a few additional psych books to educate myself as well. The school does not help you with preceptors. They do provide you a list of people to contact, but the list is so old that many of these people are either gone/retired or the practice is closed. If you choose to go to UC, please make sure that you start looking for preceptors. This pandemic has made it really hard to find preceptors or be prepared to pay big bucks to have someone precept you. Companies such as NP Hub charge you $12 per hour and you need 100 hours for peds, 100 hours for adults, 100 hours for geriatric and 168 hours for psychotherapy.

Thanks for responding - what classes have you taken so far and what were the issues? I had very similar problems during the FNP program and really couldn't handle the frustrations while pregnant. I have a newborn at home now and 4 year old who will be home because of covid and I'm so annoyed about the clinical process already - I have 4 facilities lined up waiting on communication and I can't get a straight answer. I've repeatedly emailed them as I'm afraid I'll lose my spots and my potential preceptors haven't been able to reach anyone either - I live in very rural US and there are only a handful of locations in my entire state able to take students, let alone during a pandemic!

Anyway, I'm taking only one class at a time because I'm homeschooling the kiddos and with a post masters I have lots of time to complete only a few courses, but I'm already annoyed.

1 minute ago, SMZ_DNPstudent said:

Yes I am to start this 24th as well! After those schools I’ve applied and got accepted, I finally decided to go with UC. Don’t know if I made the right move; I got accepted at LLU but the tuition is mind blowing so I chose the other. Same sentiments here!! The advisor assigned to me, helped me at NOTHING. Takes days to respond. I waa hoping I am going to get help on how to enroll or register; but I ended up finding it for myself! There was another professional/personal advice I asked him, to my surprise he said “ Unfortunately I am not a nurse and I’m not qualified to answer these questions...” then the person he directed me to, only gave me a neutral advice that even your kid could probably answer. ?

Yikes! Are you a DNP Student there? What track are you in (post masters, DNP, or MSN for PMHNP)?

guest1130657

15 Posts

I have completed 3 classes so far: psychopathological disorders across the lifespan, neurobiology and psychopharmacology, systems interventions for individuals and group and internship 1, I will be taking clinical psychiatric diagnostics and management of adults, clinical psychiatric diagnosis and management of children and internship II for this upcoming fall semester. You need 504 hours to graduate. In addition to the delayed response from instructors, instructions for homework assignment are confusing as well. I find myself spending more time dissecting the assignments than I have devoted to studying. The problem with online programs is that they make you do a lot of busy work to compensate for not being in class in person. They overwhelm you with so much work that you don't get to spend the time to actually learn the material. I do study very hard for all of my classes. I just want to able to pass all of my tests and be done with it. I do not feel like I learn a lot from online classes.