RN licensure in other states

  1. How do you handle licensure for various states as a travel nurse? Do you take the licensing exam for each state or do you get some sort of temporary license to practice in states other than where you are licensed? I'm just starting out and being a travel nurse is of interest to me. Thanks for any feedback provided!
  2. Visit QuinnRN20 profile page

    About QuinnRN20, CNA

    Joined: Nov '17; Posts: 24; Likes: 7


  3. by   Guy in Babyland
    If you live in a compact state and take a travel assignment in another compact state, then there is nothing further to do. If you do not live in a compact state, then you need a license in each state that you want a travel assignment in. If you live in a compact state and want to travel to a non-compact state, then you need to get a license in that state.
  4. by   QuinnRN20
    So how do you acquire the license in a non-compact state? Sit for the nursing exam in that state?
  5. by   NedRN
    All states have reciprocity with other states. NCLEX doesn't have to be taken again. Some states are slow like California to issue a license, others are "walk-through" - usually with a temp license. With most you will have to have a background check, some will require school transcripts. A few states like Florida will have a couple of specific CEUs you must have before licensure, and many states will then require CEUs with every renewal. There are occasional issues with education - CA and NY mostly - sometimes that you can correct, and sometimes not. But they are rare.
  6. by   QuinnRN20
    Thank you!
  7. by   Apples&Oranges
    Go onto the state's BON website that you are interested in and click the "RN licensure by endorsement" tab. That will walk you through the application process step by step.
  8. by   QuinnRN20
    I'm not looking for one specific state. I was inquiring about travel nursing and how it worked for licensure. Thanks.