New Mexico license endorsement

  1. Hi all! I'm an LPN, taking a travel contract in NM before my clinical starts for my RN bridge program. I have a compact license, but will be moving around the time I start the travel contract. Has anyone applied recently for a NM license by endorsement? If so, how long did it take to get your temporary license? Thanks!
  2. Visit Never2LateLPNtoADN profile page

    About Never2LateLPNtoADN, LPN

    Joined: Apr '18; Posts: 12; Likes: 7


  3. by   chare
    Are you relocating to NM? If so you should apply for licensure there as soon as possible. When you do you will be able to work on your current multi-state license until you receive your NM license, at which time your previous multi state license will be inactivated.

    If you are relocating to a non-eNLC state your current multi-state license will revert to a single-state license when you update your address with that state's BON as you must be a resident of that state for your license to grant multi-state privileges.
  4. by   Never2LateLPNtoADN
    Not 100% positive of which state, as it's going to be temporary. We are on a boarder of a few states. So it's going to be best if I just get a non compact NM license in advance. I can't seem to get a definitive answer from New Mexico as to the turn around time on getting the temporary license while they process the app. In this circumstance, compact is a good and bad thing as not all the neighboring states to me are compact. I don't want to end up starting with the compact then we decide on a different state that's non compact, and stuck while on assignment without a license, and have to end the contract early because of our permanent home change.
    Last edit by Never2LateLPNtoADN on Aug 6 : Reason: Edit
  5. by   NedRN
    You have 30 days (I believe) to get a new license after moving. That should be enough in the vast majority of states. You can also retain your current address after you start your assignment and are considering your options. This is also required if you want the tax free housing and per diems from an agency. The agency may tell you a different story, but it is just that, a story. They will not be present at an audit. Give up your home and you are itinerant (without a home). Thus anywhere you are working is home and you will be taxed just as if you live there.
  6. by   chare
    If you are a resident of one of the eNLC states, and have a license issued in that state granting you multi-state privileges, you are not going to be issued a single state license from NM as you can work in NM on your current license. Under the original NLC you were allowed either 30 or 90 days, depending on the state, on which you could work using your previous state's license. Under the eNLC, the expectation is that you apply for licensure as soon as possible. When you do, you can work on your previous license until you receive your new license.

    I agree with NedRN, as long as you maintain your previous residence it is easiest to work on current multi-state license.

Must Read Topics