What is happening with safe nursing..

Specialties Emergency

Published

I have been an ER nurse for several years. I've always been very proud to be an ER nurse, but see some pretty sad trending in the field. I have a family member that works in the ICU, so I often hear that end of patients that have received some poor care in the ER.

I had a family report to the ER. After some issues, we reviewed medical charts to find that the nurses and the doctors filled out complete physical assessments, when there were no hands on AT ALL. The pt was literally untouched by anyone in the ER, with serious complaints. But according to the EMR, the patient had not 1, but 3, hands on physicals.

My questions were - have we become so reliant on machines that we no longer touch? Are we too hung up on real time computer charting that we can't take our eyes off of a keyboard to look at a patient during a conversation? Are we becoming dependant on smart pumps, so we don't even know how to do drug calculations anymore? Are we too worried about positive ratings and "excellent" referrels that we are falling away from the very basic care - listening to lungs or an abdomen? Is it a nursing problem? Is it a management problem? Is it just a sign of the times?

I would like to hear how other ER nurses unit's do the triage process, from the minute the patient walks through the door. Are there instances that you send a patient to a waiting room without a brief assessment and VS? Do you feel that your protocols are used reasonably or as a way to make the shift a bit easier for the doc? In relation to the last question - an example I'll give is a 34 year old presenting with chest pain, cough, heavy smoker, recent history of bronchitis, non compliant with meds. The triage nor primary nurse did an assessment prior to protocol orders and it was expected by the docs (without a verbal report or doc exam) to do a complete "chest pain" work up. IV,EKG, labs, so on. Protocol orders were ordered immediately by the triage nurse, however the PA saw the pt shortly after and had her discharged before the EKG could even be done, but after an IV and labs were drawn. Are we not using common sense, nursing judgement and critical thinking skills to do appropriate care, not which is easiest?

I'd just like to hear some other opinions and thoughts.

Okay, then I am going to respectfully bow out of this discussion. I could not more vehemently disagree. I'm sorry but I just cannot have a remotely intelligent discussion with that stipulation in effect.

When I said: "The fact that the environment is constantly difficult for practitioners to meet the Standard of Care is beside the point," by that I meant that practitioners are held individually responsible/accountable for the care they provide, regardless.

Seriously? You think people have this kind of liberty?

I was not replying for other people. I was replying for myself.

My point (the facet of this that I said was wrong thinking) was the fact that your original statement was two-pronged: Below-standard care and a negative outcome. I say that because one of the biggest problems I can see is that everything just keeps rolling along at the usual levels of chaos until there's something that requires blame, but on any given day basics and standards are not met because we aren't set up to actually meet them. We pay attention to them after the fact, when something bad has happened, largely for the purpose of being able to say, "well he didn't do this..." or "she didn't do that...and that's why this happened." If nothing seriously bad happens, standards aren't a priority. [in case that statement requires clarification, I am referring to what I see around me, not what I personally believe]. If basics and standards of care and ethics and competence are important, then we have to act like it 100% of the time, not just when it's time for PR/damage-control.

I think I understand what you're saying. And I agree with you that if basics and standards of care and ethics and competence are important, we have to act like it 100% of the time, not just for PR/damage-control.

Specializes in ED, ICU, PSYCH, PP, CEN.

All I can say is I see it too, and I feel your pain. You're not hallucinating. I was in the hospital for a huge blood clot in most of my right arm, a couple of years ago. I was admitted. No one ever looked at or assessed that arm, or anything else. LOL. I do have high standards since I do ER and ICU.

Oh well, I'm now a DNR, cause I don't have a lot of faith in health care anymore. I strive to give my patients the best care I can and I get made fun of. I do work in a pretty darn nice place though where staff really cares about each other and their patients.

I was not replying for other people. I was replying for myself.

Congrats? Must be nice.

+ Add a Comment