Vomit Emergency

Specialties School

Published

vomit emergency

Specializes in Prior Auth, SNF, HH, Peds Off., School Health, LTC.
Maybe she just wanted you to take a peek at her child?

All of them? And do what? Magically match the puke to the right kid?

If you *really* think a kid has puked... don't.send.them.to.school. Period.

If you have multiple kids, and a mystery puddle of puke, and none of the kids is acting sick, and no one is claiming responsibility, then clean it up and get 'em all to school. It probably *was* the dog/cat.

I've never known a kid to wake up in the night sick, and do it silently.... they pretty much always wake up the whole house. I'm pretty sure it freaks them out so bad because it's *scary* to wake up with that much pain and to have stuff come spewing out of you.

Personally, I'm surprised that every kid in the house wasn't taking credit: "It was me", "nuh-uh... it was me", "no...really I'm sick. I've gotta stay home..."

I guess it didn't occur to any of them that it was their get out of school free" card. :facepalm:

I have a kid I call my "frequent vomiter." This kid throws up at everything. Usually a one and done, hopping around smiling when its done. Mom is a nurse and at kid's last 504 meeting (not related to vomiting) she was like "I don't know how he just seems to vomit on command. I was hoping he'd grow out of it!" She loves that I get it. He's gone to doctor and nothing ever found, suspected anxiety related. At least one a month I also get the gym teacher calling him to report they have a vomiting kids they are sending my way from gym and 9/10 it has been my frequent vomiter.

My sub, who is a friend of mine, however, is not used to him and his puking on command. I forgot to leave her a written note, which I usually, do and of course she sees him when I am out. And calls home to send him home and get a follow-up due to frequent GI symptoms report. I talked to mom the next day I was back and apologized; thankfully mom was like "it's okay, you know his patterns, she was new and he is convincing."

Vomit happens. Just let it happen and deal with clean up after.

I think there are some kids (and adults) who just have weak esophageal sphincters. I would bet most of these kids had some pretty severe reflux as infants.

When they vomit, it's rarely associated with a stomachache, or any other s/s of illness. Just out of nowhere, their stomach evacuates it's contents... like a threatened snake, or something. I had one like that. :sorry:

We have one who pukes:

If someone else does

If someone picks a boogie

If the spoon is too far in her mouth

If someone puts ketchup on food that she thinks shouldn't touch ketchup

or If someone's fart smells bad enough.

We have one who pukes:

If someone else does

If someone picks a boogie

If the spoon is too far in her mouth

If someone puts ketchup on food that she thinks shouldn't touch ketchup

or If someone's fart smells bad enough.

And probably for multiple mystery reasons too....

It must suck to never know when you're gonna uurrp 🤮.

I am not an easy vomiter.... it's like my body tries to turn itself inside out. And the force of the reverse peristaltic waves is so intense, and prolonged, I literally can't breathe.

I do everything possible to avoid vomiting.... I never think "if only I could just throw up I'd feel better" ....

**raises hand** What would be an emergency vomiting? besides green emesis

Specializes in School Nursing, Ambulatory Care, etc..
**raises hand** What would be an emergency vomiting? besides green emesis

copious amount of bright red blood

coffee ground emesis

recent head injury

+ Add a Comment