looking for ostomy & continence preceptors

Specialties Wound

Published

Specializes in Med-Surg, Geriatrics, Wound Care.

I'm finishing up the courses through WebWOC next week, but don't have a preceptor lined up, and should have the clinical hours completed by Jan 31st. My original plans fell through, and I haven't been able to find an available preceptor in my area (I went through the list, but people had either changed jobs or were busy). I became wound certified a few years ago, and wanted to complete the WOCN certification.

Anyone know of someone (or two) that is available to precept (in Dec or January). I'm currently per diem, and have an open schedule. Licensed in PA, DC and MD (compact). I'm willing to travel. Anyone have suggestions on where I can look?

check membership directory on wocn.org

Specializes in Army Nurse, CEN.

Diva is right, all preceptors willing to take people will be listed on there and you can filter your search as needed for each specialty.

Wow.. like 50 e-mails in, not much further than last week. I'm ready at this point to rent a car and a hotel!

I am having the same trouble in Northern California. I've asked several contacts at my hospital, emailed persons listed on WOCN and did have a few return emails but were unable to help. This just makes me want my ostomy cert even more! I was going to go through the WebWOC program too but wanted to find a preceptor prior to spending the money. Good Luck to you.

CalicoKitty: I'm wondering if you were able to find a preceptor? I'm considering doing the webwoc program but want to find a preceptor b/f I pay the tuition and fees. So far, I have not had any luck with that. Do you recommend the program?

I liked the program. I liked the education part. There were PPT presentations that would be like a normal class. The assignments (answer question/reply to question) and weekly quizzes were fine. Feedback if you need it. Comparing it to Wicks (now closed) that was all self-paced reading and some larger assignments to hand in, I prefer WebWOC for learning.

It is finding a preceptor that is a challenge. The preceptor I used for my wound certification has retired. I think she precepted most of the people in my area - had she not retired, I would probably hope to work with her again. I've probably sent out about 50 emails or more, and a few nibbles, but those haven't panned out. From what I'm hearing, WebWOC is with Metro State University, and somehow that makes contracts a challenge. I don't know anything about the contract process (other than it takes 6-8 weeks). WebWOC will be leaving MSU at the end of the year, and at least one person I've emailed said hopefully contracts will be easier to sort out.

Calico Kitty Just - were able to find a preceptor? I'm still debating whether or not I want to do this program.

Yes and no. I found one, but it is out of state and I am currently going through the necessary background checks. Which apparently includes a fingerprint thing that I did on the 9th and still haven't gotten results. I think it said it could take 2 weeks, maybe more. =( The other background checks are done (I needed 3 for that state).

I would advise looking for a preceptor before signing up. Since they are splitting from Metropolitan University, I think agreements may be more easily made, but they will most likely need to be made (since the old ones are no longer valid).

The WOCN board has a lot of contacts. I'd email them if you don't have a place in mind, and see what the availability is. WebWOC offers courses I think 3 or 4 times a year, not sure, so even the application and start times will take some time.

Specializes in CNA, LVN, RN.

I emailed a WOC nurse in Los Angeles and she said she couldn't precept me WebWOC and Kaiser Permanente (her employer) are unable to reach an agreement. I emailed WebWOC to confirm if its true. And now that they aren't with MSU anymore, maybe Kaiser can come to agreement?

Eventually, I found preceptors!

WebWOC did split from Metropolitan State at the end of last year, so they do need new contracts. Can always give it a shot. There are other programs as well. You can also look on the WOCN website to see if there are available preceptors. It may take a few (dozen) emails.

Specializes in CNA, LVN, RN.

I sent out a dozen today already! One told me she's currently not working :(

I will need to make phone calls to hospitals near me that employ WOC Nurses (that are not listed in the directory). I have a friend that works at the Kaiser the WOC nurse is employed at so I will try to get some contact info and call someone.

CalicoKitty, have you taken the exam yet?

+ Add a Comment