Pain control in pt. With hx of opiate abuse

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I noticed that some patients have this severe chronic pain with history of opiate abuse have a lot of trouble getting pain control in the hospital. Sometimes, I feel like physicians don't listen to them enough. I feel like doctors (including the pain team !) usually go with a pharmacological approach to pain control but once they have all these non opiate pain medicines on board, they get a teeny amount of opiate or none at all and then they are on their own. I even struggle trying to get consults for people sometimes and get responses like "well they broke their pain contract in the past." I think people with severe uncontrolled pain (and often psych comorbidities) are very likely to break pain contracts so they can go get illegal drugs to get some relief for a minute. The system is pretty unforgiving of those situations. If they don't get enough support they will likely go back to using again. It's a vicious cycle. I feel like we should try harder. I also hardly ever hear of alternative therapies such as accupuncture and we seem to forget to get psych or stress management involved. This is one of the few areas where I find myself having to really strongly advocate for people. Anyone else have this dilemma ? What more can I do for this population?

Specializes in school nurse.
Definitely not. I know it's still pharmacological, but I have seen even those who use higher level of opioids at home get relief with IV acetaminophen. It may not help everybody, but it is worth a try.

I'm curious- how rough is that on the liver?

It is generally safe to use at 2-4g a day even with extant liver disease, though I wouldn't use it in decompensated cirrhosis.

Specializes in Emergency, Telemetry, Transplant.

I don't know for sure, but I'm guessing that a few doses while in hospital is no worse than what many people take it home over time.

+ Add a Comment