Positive UDS

Nurses Recovery

Published

I tested positive for alcohol. Had a phone conversation with my case manager which was extremely negative. I was trying to be adult about it and own up to my mistake. I was met with her berating on my "lack of remorse". I simply said I could scream and cry and ask for forgiveness or just take responsibility, deal with the consequences and try to move passed it. She seemed very angry. I said I can't undo it, asked her if there was anything I needed to do. She said no, they will decide and let me know by the end of the week.

I suppose my question is, Is it the end for me? In Indiana is that it?

I doubt it's the "end" of you. You will probably be refrained from practice and it's better to own up to drinking (if you did drink), then to lie about it. You will probably have to start from scratch because since you owned up to it, their question will be 'how long has this been going on?' I don't know everything about how all the different States operate. But, in my State, they would count it as a 'relapse,' because you were 'caught,' vs- telling on yourself. Relapse may well mean treatment... Nothing to do now but wait. I wish you the best.

It's not gonna be the end but you just made things a heck of a lot harder for yourself. I wish you well and will say a prayer for you. Here if you relapse whether you own up to it or not you start all over again.

What's the point of going thru the program if I can't be a nurse? I just don't see the point. I tried to tell her what I've going thru but she didn't seem to care. I suppose it doesn't really matter.

What's the point of going thru the program if I can't be a nurse? I just don't see the point. I tried to tell her what I've going thru but she didn't seem to care. I suppose it doesn't really matter.

What do you mean? You can still be a nurse. You just can't be an actively practicing nurse after you have had a positive for alcohol. You have to jump through the hoops, don't drink and you'll get back to nursing.

So I lose my job for 3 years? Then I can be a nurse?

Specializes in Med/Surg & Psych.
So I lose my job for 3 years? Then I can be a nurse?

Who told you that you'll lose your job for 3 years? I've seen and heard of nurses doing a lot worse and they were not out of work for 3 years. You do need to have a negative UDS before returning to work.

They will definitely extend your RMA and your testing frequency will increase. What else I'm not sure but you are thinking the worst. I hope you find out soon!

Well CM told me nothing. I specifically asked her what I needed to do. She said nothing. So I'm still working. I have been considering therapy for my increasing depression and I did mention that to her. She was completely dismissive. This program is in no way voluntary and is purely punitive. IF I did believe I had a really prob

Well CM told me nothing. I specifically asked her what I needed to do. She said nothing. So I'm still working. I have been considering therapy for my increasing depression and I did mention that to her. She was completely dismissive. This program is in no way voluntary and is purely punitive. IF I did believe I had a really prob

You may be contacted for an evaluation, I'm not sure how Indiana does things. But, if you haven't been told to refrain from practice that's something to be grateful for, at this point. Remember, it doesn't matter whether those of us that find ourselves in monitoring believe we have a problem or not. It matters that we comply. I knew I had a problem, so accepting that was easier for me. Some truly believe they don't, and that's okay for them too. You need to complete your contract though. In my state, they give you like an hour to notify your employer when you've had a positive, then you must be off the premises and are refrained from practice until otherwise notified. It sounds like Indiana is very different in that respect. So, wait to hear and keep us posted. We are rooting for your success.

I found it extremely ironic that we, as participants, are warned to treat our CM with respect but yet we are subjected to their mistreatment. Look, I know I messed up, I'm perfectly aware you hold my nursing career in "your" hands but that conversation made me sick. I wish I had recorded it. I certainly hope a person teeter on the edge in this program isn't treated that way. I've had some dark thoughts since I screwed up but it had been awhile...

You're right, you shouldn't have been talked to that way. But, you were honest. And believe it or not, that goes a long way. Hopefully, you'll benefit from that honesty in this situation. If you don't though, you've maintained your integrity. Do not give up, this is just another bump in the road. It's not fun. However, the more 'bumps' in the road that you survive you'll find that very little will be able to shake you by the end of this journey. Keep us posted, you're not alone.

Specializes in OR.

In ours, there's a line somewhere in all of the toilet paper that we are expected to follow that we have a 'right to be treated with dignity and respect.' Mmmmm...okeee dokeee. Right, another line trotted out to look good but really means nothing. Like most of this ****.

+ Add a Comment