SPOT Screener

Specialties School

Published

Speaking of "EYES," I want to share some information I've gathered from using the SPOT screener the past few years. Our district has 2 of these devices. State guidelines allow us to screen kids through 5 years of age and any others who have difficulty with the wall chart. I've been doing some experimentation with my PK kids who "fail" the vision screening with the SPOT and I've come to realize 100% of the 4 year olds who have failed the SPOT screening due to astigmatism only will "pass" the screening with the wall chart.

In our area it is extremely difficult to find an eye doctor who will see a 4 year old. So, knowing that these 4 year olds will be screened again next year and knowing how difficult it is to get them in to an eye doctor, I do not "refer" the kids who have failed the SPOT screener due to astigmatism only and who subsequently pass the screening using a wall chart.

I will not rescreen 4 year olds with a wall chart if the SPOT indicates myopia, hyperopia, or gaze issues, but will refer those guys immediately.

Just some food for thought...

You could try contacting your local Lion's Club. Many of them have the SPOT screeners and could come to your campus to assist you.

I have to do hearing screenings on them as well so I still have to pull each one out of class. Plus I get paid extra to do it so I won't complain- that's my Xmas money!

+ Add a Comment