Thinking about changing my major

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

Good afternoon all,

So i've hit a little bit of a rough patch. I'm not sure if I can do nursing anymore. I currently have a 2.98 GPA and am feeling very discouraged about applying to any programs (I'm in Georgia btw). My first year of college was pretty and I didn't perform as well. I have come a long way from where my GPA was before, but the advisors aren't being all that helpful and telling me to swtich my major. Here is what I got in my current prereqs:

1. A&P 1 - B

2. A&P 2- C

3. Mirobio lecture - C (im currently taking the lab and I hope to do well, and I also plan to retake the lecture next semester)

4. BIO 1103K (I took chem freshman year and didn't do too tell so I decided to take biology instead, do any of you guys know ANY programs..out of state or in state that takes Introductory Biology as a prerequisite?)

Taking all the others between now and next semester, but do yall think its even worth it? I have run out of motivation. If any of you guys have major switch suggestions (that are still in healthcare) please let me know! I wanna do something where I can work and help. I want to work with kids, so any career advise based on that would be very appreciated. Thank you all so much!

Honestly, if your advisor, who presumably knows the admissions process for your program, is telling you to switch majors, you may want to seriously listen.

I see a lot of Cs for core science classes. That's not working in your favor. I don't see an upwards trajectory for your grades, in fact, it's kind of the opposite with going from a B to C in A&P.

I don't mean to be harsh but I think if you were to continue with nursing you should aware it might be very difficult to gain admission into program and there's a good chance you'd have to transfer. I can't tell you if it's worth it... only you know the answer to that... but it will be hard.

Honestly, it doesn't look good. You might want to consider contacting a few programs in your area to see what sort of stats successful applicants have. And if you choose to press on, ask how you can best improve your chances.

It's highly specific depending on the school. For example, you might be able to retake sciences and use the higher grade for some programs. Others won't allow it or will average your two (or more) attempts.

Have you looked into LPN programs? They usually have lower level science requirements. I'm not familiar with GA but in Louisiana some community colleges offer LPN to RN programs.

+ Add a Comment