Legal Consulting Fees--Yippe!

Specialties NP

Published

Specializes in Surgery.

Hey all-

Haven't been on here for a while but a new opportunity has come up. I'm a surgical NP and a surgeon I work with has recommended me for some legal consulting jobs. I wanted to get anyones feedback that has done this. They are specifically looking for NPs in my specialty. He says I should ask for $350/hour with a automatic $700 minimum retainer fee guaranteeing 2 hours of my work (and pay) up front. He's basing that off of lower than what he charges...

Does this sound similar to your pay schedule? Thoughts? Champagne? lol....

Specializes in Family Nurse Practitioner.

Are you going to be testifying as a medical expert? Not to burst your bubble and I haven't done this type of work but would recommend significant research of risks vs benefits prior to the champagne. Is the specialty surgery? Are you RNFA? It is my understanding a major concern is whether someone can actually be considered an expert in their field. You could be setting yourself up to be attacked and discredited. Does your cover this type of work? There are articles, standards from medical associations and books on this subject to help guide you.

+ Add a Comment