CA Proposition 8: Dialysis Clinics Initiative

Specialties Urology

Published

1. Is Prop 8, Dialysis initiate, a good idea?

Heck yeah! Vote for it.
      No! Are you crazy? Of course not.
      Too jaded to function
      Something about eggs?
      Respondent declines to state.

2 members have participated

I would like to hear from my California HD RNs about Proposition 8: Kidney Dialysis Clinics Initiative Statute that will be on the ballot next month."Requires rebates and penalties if charges exceed limit. Requires annual reporting to the state. Prohibits clinics from refusing to treat patients based on payment source. Fiscal Impact: Overall annual effect on state and local governments ranging from net positive impact in the low tens of millions of dollars to net negative impact in the tens of millions of dollars."

I understand how policies that sound good can have unforeseen secondary and tertiary side effects, or may even have an insidious ulterior motive. Basically, I am too jaded and cynical to function at this point. Ask me how I want my eggs and I will lapse into analysis paralysys.

15% *sounds* like a reasonable cap on profit for a service that isn't really voluntary.. But the premise is scary because it costs so much to start a clinic.. If it costs a few million to build a needed clinic from a cornfield, and revenue the first year is a few million - is that "profit" or just paying back actual expenses? At that point you're having accountants argue amongst themselves & paying lawyers to fight over technicalities that probably aren't covered in the text of the bill.

I really don't like the part about "discrimination" against patients. While the goal is noble, there are certain people you just don't want to do business with (in any business) - they're disruptive, disrespectful & cost more money than they generate. Any business that hopes to survive needs to have the right to exclude them. Federal law already protects patients from being bounced unfairly, something like this "discrimination" clause is sure to be fodder for those worst of the worst, while protecting no one.

+ Add a Comment