Started DNP program in US, moving to Canada - Advice on next steps?

World General World

Published

Hi everyone!

I hope I am posting this in the correct category.

I started a DNP program in the United States in January of 2017. As of right now, I have completed 4 semesters of the program, with 5 semesters left before I would have graduated. This fall (not currently enrolled as I am moving in October) would have been my last semester before starting practicum in January.

My question is: is it worth trying to transfer credits to a Canadian University? My concern with that is that even though the courses may be at the same level, advanced nursing practice in Canada may be different than in the United States so I would be jumping into a program with a knowledge deficit, so to speak. In that case would it be better to simply re-start a graduate program in Canada? Maybe after working as an RN there for a few months?

Additionally, this move is potentially temporary so there is a possibility that I would be back in the United States withing the next 5-6 years. Per my current graduate program, I would be able to reapply and continue where I left off as long as I am able to finish within 10 years of my start date (January 2017). So, this is also an option.

Has anyone been in a similar situation or have any advice to offer regarding these circumstances?

Thanks in advance!

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Are you sure you can move your credits?

No, I don't know that the credits will transfer, which adds to my uncertainty about the situation.

Specializes in Medical and general practice now LTC.

Probably difficult to transfer credits, suggest either contact universities where you plan on training or complete training prior moving

+ Add a Comment