Quitting IPN

Nurses Recovery

Published

I finally found a way out after being bullied for two and a half years. I'm a CNA who has a nursing degree and failed my RN boards. On the application it asked if you have been treated for addiction ect. I thought I should be honest and said yes because I was treated a year prior. Wrong! They gave me a five year contract if I wanted to continue in nursing even as a CNA. They have been nothing but a burden financially and emotionally. So to make a long story short I'm ending my career and found another job. On my last day I will tell ipn that I won't be participating. I know they'll report me. Does this mean I'll never be able to practice? Does anyone have any experience with just quitting? I will be so happy to be out of it. Everyday I regret my honesty.

Never is a long time so no that's not what I've seen. I know two nurses from my group that told PNAP years ago to stick their odious program where the sun don't shine. Both moved onto recovery and other careers on their own. However, both decided that they wanted to return to nursing. Here it is possible. It takes even longer then the regular torture and there are more hoops but its possible.

I totally understand wanting to be out from under their thumb, I really do. But I would hate to see you regret it later. You're already 2 1/2 years in to a 5 year contract. You're 1/2 way there! If you take the non nursing job, it seems to me that it would just make completing the contract that much easier, since your employer doesn't need to be involved at all as far as quarterly reports etc. It does of course mean continued random drug tests and daily check ins, I get how hard that is. I only had to do it for 3 years and was always grateful my c tract wasn't 5 years like so many other people. But just don't give it up lightly. Why don't you consider trying to complete the 5 years while not in a nursing job. Then if you ever wanted to go back to nursing, you could. For me, my contract required a full year, 12 consecutive months, in a nursing job in order to successfully complete my program. The remaining 2 years could've been working anywhere, or not working at all. But once I got the nursing job I just stuck with it. So after 2 1/2 years, you've got that part covered, right? Don't burn your bridges.

Just know that if you ever want to pursue anything requiring a license, such as dental hygienist, you'll have to be in good standing with your nursing license. I would consider completing the program even if you aren't in nursing now just in case you ever want to be later on.

If you hypothetically were to compete the rest of the program now does that mean you'd have a clean license? If you drop out now you'd end up with a public discipline that anyone could look up on the website- future employers, relatives, and neighbors could see it online.

Perhaps it is still worth it for you to get out. Totally up to you. Good luck!

I quit HAVEN, the monitoring program in Connecticut back in 2011. Decided it was a mistake in 2013 and it took me until 2017 to get my license active again. I would stick with it if you can but I totally get the urge to run but it's such a pain if you ever decide to go back!

Wow. I never thought about some of these things. Thank you for replying. Here's the problem. I simply can't afford it. In August we were notified that the amount of tests would increase and they have. I've spent $400 in 5 weeks on tests. I really don't have a choice. I wonder if I wrote a letter to the BON explaining my situation, it may help the situation a little if I decide to go back.

Specializes in OR.

I presume your contract requires 12 months of nursing practice. I would wager that IPN will tell you that CNA work does not count. In spite of that, You have gotten this far. You made it through school and you're traversed the first half of the gauntlet. Get through those boards. Pass and get a job somewhere, even if it sucks. Do that 12 months. Why? As svetlana said, it's a lot easier to shovel through it now than to try and get it all back later. Plus telling them to ***** it, no matter how good it feels now will make it impossible to do anything that that involves any kind of professional license.

Coming from someone who inappropriately got this smeared publically, you want to do everything you can to NOT have that happen.

In my opinion, push through it, even if at the end you tell nursing to take a hike (and that would be totally understandable.) in the long run, it will be worth it.

1 Votes
Specializes in OR.

I'm not sure a letter to the BON would help. They pretty much don't care. IPN is an independent entity. Check your participant manual AKA book o 'punishment for what they say they do when you choose to halt your participation. I'm not sure if what they say they do, what they say they have to do and what they actually do all jive at any point in time.

There is a way to "toll" an order which basically means put it on hold. I did that when I moved out of state temporarily because I couldn't afford the fees. It's worth looking into and keep in mind I'm not a lawyer so I could be spelling that legal term incorrectly.

+ Add a Comment