Harrison closing

Nurses General Nursing

Published

What happened with Harrison College? They just closed there doors out of no where.

Specializes in Dialysis.
Stay far away from Fortis- they are also for-profit and on thin ice.

and yes, I'm in Indiana. The only for-profit in IN that is remotely stable is Chamberlain- but they are so wicked expensive. I work for WGU in the prelicensure program.

A tech that I work with is in the prelicensure program and has nothing but excellent things to say. Check into it. I got my MSN through WGU and can attest to the school

Specializes in Dialysis.
Yes..one. And it's nursing program is as competitive as A 4 year university.

Actually, they are even more competetive

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Yes, it is a common misinterpretation I see here, that people think community colleges are easier than universities to get into. Truth is, the education takes less time and pays the same as a four year degree, making it very appealing. It is often easier to get into a four year program than a two year one.

WGU is a fantastic school. I got my BSN and MSN through them.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Here's a little update if you're interested: National American University - another shady for-profit lacking accreditation - went before the IN BON in an emergency session today asking if they could do a teach-out of Harrison students. The person they sent was not licensed in IN, did not have a teach out plan, did not even know how many students were involved. Completely and totally unprepared. She was FLAMED and sent packing. Rightfully so.

I have had a dozen or more calls from frantic students- and it is heartbreaking.

Bottom line: Accreditation matters! For-profits answer to their shareholders, not their students. If there's no waiting list or competitive admission standards- there's a reason and it ain't a good reason.

Specializes in NICU, ICU, PICU, Academia.

Another Update: Just got a notice from the BON that there will be some type of education fair/ event next week for Harrison students. ALL accredited nursing programs in the state are invited to either send a rep or send literature for distribution. Not sure of the date/ time/ location yet. I do not remember this happening with the ITT and Brown-Mackie closures, but there is a new Director so maybe this is his idea?

+ Add a Comment