preparing for management roles

Specialties Management

Published

I find that one of my weaknesses is that I can come off as unprofessional, In terms of a very laid back, apathetic way. I truly do care, but just come off as too laid back. I am interested in going into upper management and am wondering if any of you have advice for getting over this issue?

Specializes in Surgical, quality,management.

You want to go into upper management?

Have you frontline management or middle management experience? Have you had to follow up on complaints from pts and families, performance manage staff, advocate for your team?

These are the things you need to be doing as a manager.

Specializes in ED, ICU, MS/MT, PCU, CM, House Sup, Frontline mgr.

In addition to the above poster's questions, if you are currently a middle manager, who is saying you are "too laid back?" and why?

By the way, successful upper managers are far from laid back. Laid back managers = lazy/poor performers. Successful upper managers live and die by the numbers that they drive.

Tips:

Don't argue these. Do it. My hobby, as it were, used to be personal development and enrichment.

Read A LOT of leadership books and development books.

Dial up Tim Ferris and study his stuff.

Read about economics as this changes many perspectives.

Know current events not including celebrity news.

Become purposefully more meticulous in your dress which you may need to research.

Clean your car.

Clean your house.

Exercise although I call this "training" because it should have purpose.

Study a martial art for at least a year.

Practice - reheorifice good diction.

Learn etiquette including how to greet, eat, thank, walk, sit and stand.

Learn how to drive a conversation (there's a time for listening and a time for steering).

Learn how to "own the room" as best your own gifts will allow.

Start doing what you do really well.

If you need a dentist to get nice teeth or see a dermatologist to help your skin or a better stylist then do it.

Learned, knowledgeable, fit, nice looking people are taken more seriously. After you'd develop these positive traits, only then, start exploring and learning about what you seek as "management." Example scenarios: reducing employee attrition, improving ER throughput, etc. And always include metrics. Managers and administrators follow numbers.

+ Add a Comment