Manager Seeking Revenge on New Nurse

Nurses Nurse Beth

Published

Dear Nurse Beth,

I started my first RN job almost exactly 3 months ago. It's at a SNF and isn't a bad place to work but, I had to face it... my true passion and interest is in acute care nursing; I want more experience in IVs, critical care, etc...So I applied for new graduate programs, got interviewed, and landed an ICU position.

I'm blessed and humbled and never thought I could get this opportunity. The program is starting soon soi put in my 2 weeks notice with my current nursing manager who got very upset with me and turned into a whole new person. She threatened if I didn't tell her that I got a new offer, she'd tell any place calling for a reference that I didn't work there or would ignore them. She also let me know I wouldn't be needed anyway because they have enough coverage, and now she's been cutting my shifts with various excuses.

RNs at this SNF are very limited... and she's usually calling to ask if we can work double...so when she told me she was cutting my shift because we're overstaffed and I saw night nurses working day shift, my intuition told me something is wrong. Is this worth going to HR over? Can I justify this as harassment? I know I'm leaving anyway but I really needed that money (a week's pay) and would rather her just let me go so I get paid instead of texting me every morning to say she canceled my shift. I'm relieved to be leaving, sad it's ending like this.

Dear SNF to ICU,

Congrats on getting accepted to a residency!

Your manager takes passive-aggressive to a new level. She's angry that you are leaving after 3 months and striking back. The only retaliation she has is to affect your pocketbook. The rest are idle threats.

Know that in any job, once you give notice, you are subject to being immediately released from employment. Employers have no obligation to keep you on although it is professional and expected to give notice.

HR is not going to back you up here. First of all, the manager has the right to call people in and call people off. She is not violating policy unless it is written somewhere that call-offs have to rotate among staff. Even so, HR is not going to get involved. To them, you are an ex-employee and a short-term one at that.

It's best to cut your losses and put this in the rearview mirror. Let it go and look forward. Soon you are going to be in ICU, immersed in your new, exciting job, and learning so much.

Best wishes,

Nurse Beth

Author, "Your Last Nursing Class: How to Land Your First Nursing Job"...and your next!

Specializes in Orthopedics, Med-Surg.

As others have said, you have definitely dodged the bullet. Consider yourself lucky it happened so early in your career and don't worry about what she can do to harpoon you; her options are few. But I would definitely go to HR and put your complaint on the record. While it's true they work for their employer rather than the employed, you will be contributing to their documentation when they try to rid themselves of that shrew. It's the least you can do for them.

Karma can be your friend. Good luck in your new position. And no matter what opportunities present themselves, commit yourself to staying at this new place for at least a couple of years, if not longer.

Congrats on your new job dear. Sometimes these managers do behave this way, because they really gonna miss you and don't know how to face it. On the other hand, they must have written you off and got shocked at your new level unable to stand the shame, they throw tantrums.

I resigned from a previous job at the time I sent for renewal of my licence, and was not left with any duplicate copy. I eventually saw an opening and realized my last place was the last resort to get that document. You guessed correctly I was denied,but still got the job, after a while the same manager came knocking at my door, because he does his part time there. My dear it's a small world,let go and move forward. You too will become friends some day just as my story ended.

Specializes in Educator.

Exit interview is the perfect time to memorialize your experience with your highly unprofessional manager. Good luck in your new position!

+ Add a Comment