Making mistakes-3 months into ER orientation

Nurses Career Support

Published

Hi!

I am 3 months into peds ER orientation (prior to this I have been a nurse for 2 years) I feel really discouraged and I feel like I have lost the trust from a few preceptors after making some mistakes recently.

Yesterday I sat down with my manager to discuss my orientation. He talked about all the mistakes I made so far:

1. Thinking I could use a NS flush syringe to draw out labs from an IV

2. Hooking up a syringe of Cefotaxime to the patient, not to a hub on the primary bag- I thought we could do this

3. Prioritizing a weight over ABCs for a medic coming in (I dont remember doing this, but sometimes I freeze and it takes me a few seconds to assess the patient to figure out whats going on)

4. Not asking all our screening questions for a rooming assessment (and charting yes/no for if they had a healthcare directive- I was told by a preceptor to just do that and I would know if they had a healthcare directive)

Feedback from preceptors: I work too slow, I need help with delegating, organization, triaging my shift, and I need to ask more questions.

I dont know what to do at this point. My manager said he would have expected my progress to be further along by now. He's writing up a performance evaluation that I will have to sign.

I dont think this environment is right for me. I want to ask my manager if he could help me transfer to a med-surg floor where I would feel more comfortable.

If you have any advice for me, let me know! Thanks!

+ Add a Comment