Anyone from the Northeast US move and not regret it?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi,

I live in the northeast US and am finding that finding a job has been extremely difficult. I want a pediatric job close to home, but the market is just saturated here. I did get a job at a major hospital in the city, but I realize the commute will be no small feat!! It's going to stink to put it bluntly!! The commuter rail stinks just as much and takes even longer because it is so poorly put together and hasn't changed in decades!

Anyway, this area is just saturated with people, unfortunately to the point that housing, even not that close to the city isn't even affordable for someone with one income (I am talking 30-50 miles from the city). We are talking close to 500K for a dumpy 2-3 bedroom house!

Has anyone been in this same predicament moved to a lower cost area and NOT regretted it? Are you happier with less irritations?

Annie

Specializes in Pedi.

It's a sellers' housing market right now, that's your problem. I bought my house in the Northeast in 2011 when it was a buyers' market and paid $350K for a 3 bedroom in a residential area of the city, close to MBTA buses and orange line. I was single when I bought the house, too, and had only been an RN for 4 years.

Can you rent until the housing market becomes a buyers' market again?

Overall, my friends who have moved to lower cost of living areas (like Florida) have not been happy. The houses are cheaper but the lower cost of living is reflected in the lower nursing salary. My one friend who's happy with her move isn't an RN and moved to Austin, which is a booming city for her field (tech) and isn't really that low cost of living.

I live in the northeast area. housing and some apartments are very expensive. I live in a cheap apt which is very affordable. Have been stuck in this apartment for five years. If I move out I will pay twice the amount am currently paying. You can get a room mate or look for a cheap apt. In some states rent is very cheap but the hourly pay is not so great.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi,

Thanks. I do already own a house and am 40 years old, so getting a roommate would be out of the question if I did want to move towards the city, as I would not have the tolerance at this point in my life. I would never sell my affordable house to go pay an overpriced rent somewhere so someone else can build equity. I honestly love my house and where it is, its kind of in the woods, but still close enough to everything. The bigger issue is the area is as I said just so saturated with people and a crappy commuter infrastructure.

That is why I am thinking of moving, it's not truly that I want to move towards the city or out of my nice house in a quiet area, I don't like Massachusetts to be honest.

Annie

I moved from Massachusetts many moons ago and went to New Mexico, then Colorado, then Texas, then Hawaii, then Washington state- and now I live down south! I have 2 bachelor's degrees from UMass. I have been back to Massachusetts a couple times to work. At the age of 40 it will be harder to adjust but I think you can do it. I have to admit though, it is very different out of New England. Things I took for granted regarding social service programs and educational stuff, just don't exist in some other places. If you are flexible and creative you will be fine! I do have advice about your house. Get a reputable property management company to manage it. You will have to pay them and also get a 1099 at the end of the year, but absolutely do not attempt to do this on your own long distance. People take advantage of situations like that. Utah and Nevada might be good places to be looking, or Mexico border areas. I personally did not like Texas, but it may have just been that particular time in my life. If you have kids they will be fine. My kids have been all over the place. Let us know if you make the leap, and good luck!

+ Add a Comment