Coming off FMLA and Need Different Schedule

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in Urgent Care, Oncology.

Hello all -

I need some suggestions on how to approach my manager about reducing and altering my schedule when I come off from FMLA/STD next week. I have been out 3 weeks and will be out a total of 4 when I return. I was diagnosed with an autoimmune disorder that is better controlled with medications. However, I have three slipped discs in my L3-L4, L-4-L5, and L5-S1 (with nerve impingement) that I am rehabbing with PT, exercise, and medication. I currently work 36 hours - 2 days a week I work 7.5 hours and 2 days a week I work 11.5 hours. I know now that I can no longer work more than 8.5 hours. Right before I went out on STD I was covering for the other charge nurse and working 10 hour days for 4 days a week for almost 3 weeks, and that is when I had my first flare. I am not requesting to work different days, just shorter days and to cut my hours to 32 hours. I am honestly in fear of losing my job over this request, and want to know how I should approach management with this issue. Currently, I have not divulged my diagnosis to them however I have been open about my medical history with them in the past since I am a cancer survivor working at a cancer center.

I am open to suggestions, and will answer any follow-up questions as well!

Specializes in Critical care.

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to offer some support. I hope your manager is receptive. When I returned to work after an accident I had to return to full duty and work my usual 12 hour shifts. I had wanted a week or so of 8 hour shifts and that was denied since it wasn't considered full duty. I then put in the request that my first couple of weeks back I not have any back to back shifts (or at the very least not 3 in a row) so I had time to recover. I'd been out for months and expected to be tired and in some pain from my healing injury. My request was partially honored- I get that the priority is making sure the unit is staffed, but it sucked. My coworkers were great though when I returned- the charge nurse my first week back tried to make sure I had a good assignment, people checked to make sure I was ok and wasn't over doing it, etc.

My mother has had an autoimmune disorder for over 40 years so I know the havoc they can cause. I wish you the best with your recovery and I hope you take care of yourself.

Specializes in Travel, Home Health, Med-Surg.

I am sorry for your illness'. I also have autoimmune illness and know just how hard it can be at times. It is hard to say how to approach your manager because every situation is different. If you think she would be supportive I would start there and see what she says. You could also look into asking for suitable hours under the ADA. Are you working in a clinic already, if not maybe they have an oncology clinic there also that might work better. I would look into all possibilities before you say anything and have a plan, back up plan etc. I hope it works out for you and you feel better/remain well!!

+ Add a Comment