Dream NICU

Specialties NICU

Published

Specializes in NICU.

We will be moving into our new private room NICU in 2 years and I would like your suggestions for your dream NICU that I might bring to management. I've worked in private rooms before, and I'm very excited to get back to that model!

Anyway, an example of a dream NICU suggestion that also looks toward the future is digital information boards in the patient room that are updated automatically when the nurse assigns herself to the patient and new information is added on the electronic medical record and this digital board can also flip/scroll between languages in case you have, for example, a Spanish speaking only patient or family.

So, dream for me dreamers!

Specializes in NICU.
Anyway, an example of a dream NICU suggestion that also looks toward the future is digital information boards in the patient room

With the ability to flash in big red letters "Doctors- I just got this baby to sleep. DO NOT TOUCH THE BABY"

this digital board can also flip/scroll between languages in case you have, for example, a Spanish speaking only patient or family.
Your baby can read Spanish? Those are some smart newborns :cheeky:
Specializes in NICU.

Bah humbug,private rooms...all gimmicky stuff to cover up the fact that ratios are being adhered to.

I see the Hotel model is still very much alive.

The dream would be proper ratios so we could all look like nurses in the old soap operas.

As for other languages it doesn't matter ,.....if they can not read and write even in their own language.

Specializes in NICU.

Aren't you a joy. You might want to get out of nursing...

I love the private NICU rooms and they are better for our patients and their families even if it might be a change people aren't used to, and having information in your own language reduces anxiety and stress.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

1. Adequate restrooms for visitors and staff. I've never worked in a NICU that had that.

2. System/space/stations/whatever to get lab specimens quickly to the lab -- without having to walk a mile to the nursing station to get labels or to send the actual specimen.

3. Adequate space for portable X-ray machines, etc.

In other words, don't get so enamored of the technology that you forget the basics.

Gas machine on the unit, if you don't already have one.

I've never worked in a private room NICU, only as a student. But there should be some sort of convertible bed for breastfeeding mums/pre-discharge parents.

And those monitors that ring to the nurse if they are in another room, don't know if this is standard ?

+ Add a Comment