Tips for working student?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi! Next month I'm going to be starting my BSN program, and I'm enrolled in 4 classes plus clinical. Like a lot of nursing students I still have to work, so I'm going to be working on the only 2 days that I have off of school. I was wondering if there are any tips I could have on managing school, studying, homework & work with no days off. I know asking for "tips" is a pretty general question but I'm mostly asking for studying tips, and time management tips from people who may have had a schedule similar to mine. I haven't been a full time student in such a long time so i know I'm goig to have to make some HUGE adjustments to my studying habits and time management skills. Any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Typically, nursing school doesn't require as much memorization as the pre-reqs like anatomy, physiology, and microbiology. However, for the things you do need to memorize I recommend using Quizlet. You can make online flashcards for free and they have an app that you can use on your phone to review your flashcards whenever you have a spare moment. Additionally, there are lots of NCLEX question apps that you can buy and use on your phone anywhere you are. I've heard good things about NCLEX RN Mastery. I like the Davis Q&A Success Series, but those are actual books (the new versions might come with an online component). Most teachers in nursing school won't allow recordings, but if your teachers allow it record their lectures and listen to them again while you're driving to work and school.

The best studying tip I can give you and only study what you don't know, and only review what you do. Spending time studying something you already know in depth is only wasting your time. There's a lot to learn, but it's manageable. Prioritize your study time around what you actually need to study.

If you're that frantic kid who is convinced you have to study 5 hours every night, quit your job, and become a hermit to have any chance of passing nursing school, you're the kid that's going to fail nursing school.

And practice questions are your best friend, and your book will have a bunch of them to start off with.

+ Add a Comment