Relocation and Compact License Question

Nurses General Nursing

Published

I am currently working and living in Florida. We are considering relocating to the Maryland/Delaware area. How would this work with regard to licensing? I am not sure which state we will be living in, or which I will be working in and quite likely will be living in one and working in the other. Would it be beneficial to change my current single state license to a multi state as Florida is now a eNCP state?

If you are moving to Delaware or Maryland, unless you will be maintaining a permanent residence in FL, you will need to apply for licensure in whichever of the two states you end up in. The compact rules specify that you can only be licensed in one compact state at a time, and it must be your "home" state. You can then use your compact license in that state to work in any other compact state for as long as you want, the rest of your career if you want, but only as long as you maintain your permanent residence in that state.

Same as our driver's licenses -- you can use your FL driver's license to drive as far as you want, as long as you want, anywhere else in the US, but if you move to another state, you have to apply for a driver's license in your new state.

Best wishes!

Thank you. That is what I thought. But, I haven't moved for a long, long time and Florida has only just becomes a Compact State. Also, no state's board of nursing website is exactly user friendly for this kind of information. I have just finished applying for my upgrade as I figured it would be easier to to transfer the same kind of license.

+ Add a Comment