Los Angeles Nurses, Please Keep an Eye Out for Nancy

Nurses Headlines

Published

I came across a story about a year ago that I haven't been able to forget about. The story is about a middle aged woman from Los Angeles who suffers from early onset Alzheimer's and disappeared from her family in 2016. The most plausible theory is that she is under an alias in a Los Angeles healthcare facility. If you are from the LA area please read the following details.

Nancy Paulikas, 56 years old, is a Manhattan Beach resident, a former UCLA grad, software engineer, and wife to Kirk Moody. She developed early onset Alzheimer's and by the age of 56, it had progressed pretty rapidly. She was often not able to remember her own name and needed help with most ADL's. On October 15, 2016, Nancy went with her parents and husband to LACMA, a museum in central Los Angeles. After wrapping up their day, Nancy went to the restroom as did her husband, but unfortunately that was the last time she was ever seen. A security camera captures her wandering out of the museum and down the street by herself. She had no ID, no money, and no wallet. Due to her inability to care for herself it is unlikely she would be able to live on the streets and most likely was brought to a nearby hospital. There have been no reports of Jane Does matching her description reported by the Los Angeles Coroners office. There are no Jane Does matching her description reported to Medical. The most plausible theory at this point is that Nancy is under an alias at a local Los Angeles facility. Her husband Kirk Moody has been working desperately since 2016 to reach out to every facility in Los Angeles County but as you know this is a daunting task. I am posting this in hopes that Los Angeles area nurses will take a look at her pictures and check their facilities for Nancy, who is most likely under a different name for payment purposes. I am including a link that includes numerous pictures and updates to the case. Please take a look and keep an eye out for Nancy!

She vanished 18 months ago with no leads. Now, a volunteer cop has a troubling theory about what happened to her

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Thanks for this alert re missing Alzheimer's woman.

Remember reading about this. Sad that she has not been found.

Thank you for the update.

Specializes in Vents, Telemetry, Home Care, Home infusion.

Outcome of this situation: creation of Project Lifesaver a LA countywide program to find individuals who wander using trackable bracelets.

Project Lifesaver

Sometimes those living with Alzheimer’s, dementia or autism go missing. Los Angeles County is proud to partner with Project Lifesaver to help find them when it happens.

Project Lifesaver provides a voluntary system of trackable bracelets for at-risk individuals. The bracelet works by emitting a radio frequency (RF) signal every couple of seconds.

When an individual wearing a bracelet goes missing, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department deploys a specially equipped team to assist with search and rescue. Weather permitting, the Sheriff’s Department can also deploy helicopter with receivers to assist the ground search team and help expedite locating the missing person.

When the individual wanders, caregivers are asked to quickly call 911 and advise the operator that the missing person is wearing a Project Lifesaver bracelet. The bracelet is not monitored until the person is reported missing.
To apply for a Project Lifesaver bracelet in Los Angeles County, click here.

My maternal grandfather lived in Philadelphia, had terminal metastatic Brain Cancer, forgetful, so moved into my parents suburban home in 1981. Somehow he was able to open their front door (which required two hip thrusts to disengage lock) and escape off the block. After 2nd attempt to flee, I brought home a hospital bracelet listing name, parents phone # + medical DX. Police found him 5 blocks away post 3rd escape. This would have been perfect for him. Hope this program expands across the US.

+ Add a Comment