Leaving Nursing

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Lately, I have been terribly disappointed in the nursing profession. I have been nursing since 2014. I feel as of late we have really been taken advantage of. So much so that I have actually made the decision to leave the profession by applying to grad school for an MBA with a concentration in Healthcare Administration. The consistent short staffing and unreasonable expectations have just completely turned me off. Seems to be a thing at both of my nursing jobs. Not to mention my one job which is PRN is consistently short, so we are already above the 1:4 expected patient ratios. Nearly every time I work I get dumped on (i.e. surgicals or admits) right at shift change, sometimes 5-10 minutes after my shift has ended and that 30 minutes we are given for report and change of shift. Now here is where my frustration is....every time I have worked I receive a complaint from the oncoming nurse in which my manager texts me about and I need to come in a discuss with her. Usually how things are not completed or something of this nature. Well the first time it happened I thought well maybe I did forget something because I was in a hurry to get out of there. The second time I got dumped on at change of shift I stayed late by 2.5 hours, set up IV fluids, vital signs, charted, passed meds, initiated care plans, made sure all ordered equipment was in the room, labeled all tubing. I was sure I didn't miss anything even checked with the nurse before leaving to make sure there was nothing else I could help her with. I mean I was already there late. Well low and behold I find out today that nurse filed a complaint against me. This was kind of my breaking point. I don't want to be part of a profession where I busy my butt only to receive complaints of how I'm not doing good enough. Feel defeated. My plan is to put my application in to some other job opportunities outside of nursing just to get out while I finish this masters program. Thanks for listening.

Well it's been a week since I wrote this. Still want to leave and very much feel like calling out on the remainder of my shifts. I know it sounds terrible. But it's just at that point.

Have you found another job? Do you like the facility? If so don't call out on your last shifts because it would make you not eligible for rehire. Just bide your time until it's time to go.

So apparently the issue was....after waiting nearly two hours after the end of my shift for a float nurse to arrive she felt I was upset that she was late and we need to have a more positive attitude. Well sorry that's the way she felt but I was there even later then when she got there because I had charting that needed to be complete. Not sure how they are so sure it was me because there was 2 or 3 of us waiting for this same nurse at 3pm....not exactly her fault but staffing. I think she just wanted something to complain about, which is fine. But I am tired of hearing about complaints that have nothing to do with patients, patient safety, or real concerns.

+ Add a Comment