Getting your recommendation letters from employer: how did you go about it?

Specialties Government

Published

I just received a new job opportunity to the hospital i'm currently working at and i didn't think the process for joining the navy would be so immediate. I actually thought i would have to wait months or even years before i would get to this point of asking for recommendation letters since i wasn't familiar with the process. Which thankfully is a form the navy gives you which makes it easier since you just hand that out and get it filled out and signed thats about it. The thing is that I've been working in this unit now for only 4 months.

I was told by my recruiter i need recommendation letters from the people i work with, which is quite the challenge really since im still the newbie in my department.

How did you go about it, how did you ask your co-workers or even managers and supervisors etc? What did you say? Im planning on asking my manager and my supervisor (which is the one who got me the job in the first place) i doubt they'll take it lightly.

any advice?

Specializes in EMS, ED, Trauma, CEN, CPEN, TCRN.

Could you get letters from your previous employers?

I got recommendations from previous co-workers & then my recruiter contacted my manager to verify current employment & employment history .

Specializes in ED, Cardiac-step down, tele, med surg.

Many hospitals I've worked for have a no reference policy. All they can do is verify experience (worked here from this date to this date, eligible for rehire). Because management is an extension of the hospital, I couldn't get references from employers (here in Cali). But, I have gotten them from charge nurses and co workers (with charge nurses carrying more weight). I'd suggest you do that if HR has a policy of no references.

+ Add a Comment