Advice when making specialty change

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi,

Ive been a nurse for about 7 years. Most of my years have been in the operating room but now that it have a family i feel like im in the wrong specialty. I usually have to go in to work super early and it makes it hard with school drop offs. I live in California and need advise from nurses that have been in a similar situation. I am afraid of making a mistake and going into a type of nursing that I will not like. Please help!

If money isn't an issue you could check a private doctors office, but all I can think of is plastic surgeons. There may be others.

Or a GI or opthalmologist clinic where cataracts and minor eye surgeries are done. They may have better hours?

Could you just cut back your hours? Work only 3 or 4 days a week?

I don't know if direct patient care, for example, hospice or home health care, is doable after "only" working OR for so many years?

Hopefully other nurses will chime in.

I only have 1 year of med surg experience which was my first year of nursing. I thought about doing hh or hospice but i dont know if I would have enough especially since it was so long ago

You can ask about home health nursing in the Nursing Specialties, Home Health Nursing.

+ Add a Comment