What do I do with my career?

Nurses Job Hunt

Published

Specializes in M/S, LTC, Corrections, PDN & drug rehab.

My husband is in the oil field but he is not making much money. In fact, he is making such little money that we can't pay our bills at the end of this month or the beginning of next month at.all. I'm currently a stay at home mother because I cannot seem to keep a job for the life of me and my health is not the greatest right now.

My last job was working on a med/surg gastro floor. It was a great experience but it just wasn't for me. I would've stuck it out but my health took a nose dive and my kids were starting to get affected by both of their parents not being at home so I resigned after only 4 short months and I am not proud of that.

Unfortunately, my job history mimics that. I have never held a job for a year so I don't know what to do. My husband keeps telling me to get a job because his job isn't paying the bills. Right now I suffer from bipolar disorder, anxiety, migraines, epilepsy and lupus. I can't make it through a day without being in pain or having to take a nap. So what do I do?

I live in a somewhat small town where there aren't many options for LVN positions. I am blacklisted from the prison nurse positions, I just left the hospital so they won't hire me back, doctor's offices only hire MAs, every time I try to work in LTC or PDN I quit in less than a month. Those are the only options left. Not to mention LTC will kill my back & legs which are already in pain when I don't do anything. I can't afford to get an MRI or CT because my insurance doesn't cover it.

If I some how get a job in my town, I would have to put my youngest in daycare. If I got a a job out of my town I would be working to pay for my commute and daycare.

So what should I do? Are there any telecommuting positions I am missing? I have applied to a bunch and never heard back. What other kind of jobs could I apply to? I would love to work & help support my family, it's not that I'm choosing not to work because I don't want to, I just can't.

Any suggestions or help is appreciated!

Find a drop-in or "as needed" daycare option, advertise for your childcare needs if need be, and go back to extended care home health. One shift every two weeks or every week. When you have that under control, increase your schedule to two shifts weekly or biweekly. You can force yourself to do one or two shifts a week, one shift at a time, one hour at a time, one half hour at a time. Like some say about sobriety, if you can only stay sober for ten minutes at a time, then start with ten minutes. Any income is better than no income. And an infrequent part time or on call position is better than not working at all. Meanwhile, continue to pursue a work from home job. Some people have those positions, so there has to be one out there somehow. If you can't tackle another try at gainful employment, then your option is disability.

What is extended care home health, you mean PDN? I could if I could find an active cases in my area. They advertise like there are cases that need to be staffed but there aren't any in my area. I don't want to name my city as it would out me. But it's not super small but it's not huge. There is a college in my town that has an LVN and bridge program, so that doesn't help.

But even if I only put my son in daycare on the days I work, my paycheck would be going to daycare/a babysitter.

What about nanny? I've never done it, but I have heard some are able to work with their kids. If you find a mom with a kid who has asthma, life threatening allergies, autism, diabetes, etc., your LVN skills could be quite a selling point. The base pay wouldn't be as great, but after daycare, you may net more.

What about nanny? I've never done it, but I have heard some are able to work with their kids. If you find a mom with a kid who has asthma, life threatening allergies, autism, diabetes, etc., your LVN skills could be quite a selling point. The base pay wouldn't be as great, but after daycare, you may net more.

If they would let me nanny with my youngest, that would be great! I haven't looked at all, I have just been looking for LVN positions. But I would be afraid to let the parent know I am a nurse, something happens to their child & act accordingly but don't get paid as so. Especially in this litigious society. It sounds great but it has me worried.

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

Maybe you could start with a non-nursing job. For example, my brother's family hired someone to clean their house once a week -- a woman who brought her 2 children with her. Such a part-time job would bring in some immediate cash to pay a few bills while you and your husband figure out a longer-term plan. Maybe he needs to change jobs or pick up a 2nd job. Maybe you need to go on disability, etc.

Maybe you could start with a non-nursing job. For example, my brother's family hired someone to clean their house once a week -- a woman who brought her 2 children with her. Such a part-time job would bring in some immediate cash to pay a few bills while you and your husband figure out a longer-term plan. Maybe he needs to change jobs or pick up a 2nd job. Maybe you need to go on disability, etc.

I am in the process to apply for disability. Right now I am getting all my doctors appointments lined up so I can discuss this with them.

As far as my husband he refuses to quit his job. I think he would be more open to get a second job but I don't know if he would.

It is so hard to look outside the nursing world since it's all I've know as an adult worker. I will start looking at all job listings and see if any fit me.

Thank you!

+ Add a Comment