Observing a Friend's Surgery

Nurses HIPAA

Published

I am a BSN nursing student and my friend was getting a surgery at the hospital school I attended. I am fascinated with surgery so I figured I would try to see if I could observe as a student.

Long story short, one person gave me permission days prior and even sent my original email to multiple nurses in order grant me permission. My email clearly stated I knew this person and I even provided a last name, not even attempting to hide our relationship. The patient also gave me verbal permission, which I included in my email and phone conversation. When I got into the OR the circulating nurse informed me that I can not have any relationship with the patient. They quickly moved me to another OR and that was that.

I never received a clear explanation why that is the rule. Can anyone explain?

For the same reasons you would not be allowed to be assigned to a friend in any other clinical assignment or setting. It's a violation of established nursing boundaries. I'm surprised anyone gave you permission earlier in the process. It has long been considered, in all the helping professions, not just nursing, a serious mistake to mix professional and social or family relationships. The "rules" are there to protect you as well as clients. Have you gotten far enough in school to have talked about ethics and boundaries?

Welcome to allnurses! :balloons: Best wishes for your studies.

Specializes in Med/Surge, Psych, LTC, Home Health.

Curious as to how you all feel about my nursing school classmates partaking

in my C section when I had my daughter, and also other students caring for

my baby daughter. I mean, yes they were just my classmates, but also

friends by default. :) What do you think? Was it appropriate?

It was 15 years ago btw, and I cherish the experience. :)

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.
Curious as to how you all feel about my nursing school classmates partaking

in my C section when I had my daughter, and also other students caring for

my baby daughter. I mean, yes they were just my classmates, but also

friends by default. :) What do you think? Was it appropriate?

It was 15 years ago btw, and I cherish the experience. :)

I am very happy that everything worked out well for you ... but you were lucky. Had something gone wrong, the blurring of professional boundaries between the patients and the caregivers could have turned a bad situation into a disaster. We would never allow such a thing today at my hospital as it violates lots of professional standards.

But as I said ... you got lucky and it all turned out OK. And I am happy for you that it did.

Specializes in Mental Health, Gerontology, Palliative.

When I was doing a placement in outpatients, I recognised one of the names on the list as being one of my clinical tutors.

I said to my preceptor, "Look I know this person they are one of my tutors, I'm going to step out while they are in here".

Getting involved in the treatment of people we know, opens up a whole bunch of potential crazyness which is why health professionals are advised against being involved in the care of family and people they know.

Personally I'm surprised you were given permission in the first place.

+ Add a Comment