Overtime

Nurses General Nursing

Published

After promising myself that I would never go home 1 hour + past my shift ever again on my first day as a nurse off of orientation a few months ago, it happened last night. Clocked out at exactly 9:25 pm - about 5 minutes earlier compared to when I went home at 9:30 pm on my first day lol.

I work 7-7:30 day shift. Fortunately I have already charted all my assessment for my other patients earlier in the day, or I would have stayed for 30 minutes more. Now I realize that I can never truly avoid going home late and there will always be a time when things go hectic at the last hour.

Just curious, how late do you guys have to work past your shift if you do and how often?

Thank you all so much for your advice and words of encouragement! Really appreciate that! I will definitely hone my time management skills and vow to never go home that late again. It might sound surprising, but my management/supervisors have not called me out yet for clocking out late (and I've done this for about 4 times now). They might be a little lenient on me because I'm still new. Though, I've also noticed that even some of our experienced nurses have stayed just late when they get a busy assignment and they barely hear anything from the higher ups.

Frequently

Just curious, what kind of facility do you work at and how many patients do you handle?

I've worked 0630-midnight several times. But I work in Cath Lab (single shift) and we have no relief coming. We work til we're done.

It's about 50/50 for me. Anything can happen, at any time. One of my patients decide to start crashing at 4:30 the other day. I left late.

But, it's not a big deal on my unit. Our OT is not watched. And I rarely hit OT when I stay late anyway. I'm scheduled 36 hours a week. I'd have to stay over an extra 4 hours. The most im ever there extra is 30-45 minutes.

+ Add a Comment