Interested in CVOR nursing

Specialties Operating Room

Published

I'm interested in learning CVOR nursing. I have no CV experience. I'm willing to relocate to any state to get this experience. I currently work as a circulator nurse in the Main OR. I have been a circulator nurse for only a year.

I have a few interviews lined up for CVOR RN position in various states but I'm not willing to accept a position until I shadow the department which the directors are willing to do.

I want to make sure the team chooses me and I also want to make sure it's a good fit for me as well.

How much orientation is needed to learn CV?

Can you tell me questions to ask about the position?

Can you recommend any facilities to apply for or facilities to stay away from?

Btw one position is willing to offer me 6 months of training but I don't like the shift . Another position is only willing to offer me 3 months training however I prefer 12 hr shifts.

Thank you for your advise!

So glad to hear so many are interested in pursing CVOR. I was hand-picked to scrub on our high-risk open-heart team 3 years ago and haven't looked back. Feel free to email me with any questions. [email protected]

Hi - I took it upon myself to make a guide that really tries to outline what it takes to get into CVOR and more importantly, what it takes to thrive. I have been so disappointed when very talented OR nurses shun the opportunity to scrub in the CVOR rooms.

Yes, it is one of the most intense jobs in any hospital...but it should be, right?

Yes, you have to sacrifice time to take call and help resuscitate life into patients who have aortic dissections...but no amount of money can replicate the feeling of knowing you were integral to it, can it?

Yes, patients will expire on your table - before your very eyes as you fight...but you were the one fighting for them, weren't you?

I am so inspired by nurses who look at CVOR as a challenge and not as a 'danger zone'. I've been humiliated in the CVOR - was it right? No, but when you start to understand what's on the line, it's mind-blowing.

I'll never forget my older sister's friend when we wheeled her in for a re-do AVR / MVR - being able to hold her hand for that walk will be in my heart forever. Knowing that I was with her takes away the pain of what ensued. But, I couldn't think of anyone else that would have done as much for her as we did - we fought and fought and fought...and lost. I live with guilt, but much hope too.

So just to update you guys. I got a job in the CVOR. It's definitely intense. My coworkers are amazing that's prolly the main reason I like this job. Our team is small so the call can be a bit much about 14-15 days a month. I plan on leaving this job in a year for personal reasons but I'm glad I tried it.

Specializes in Main O.R. and CVOR.

How's it going? Did you leave the CVOR team? Can I ask the reasons? I'm considering leaving my CVOR team due to the Team Leader..... would love to hear your experiences and outcomes. thanks!! stay safe

+ Add a Comment