First semester nursing school

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hello,

I will be starting nursing school this fall and just want to ask everyone here about their experience in first semester. How is it like? What should I expect? Im beyond excited :D

It's hard but you can do it! There will be many times you will feel like you can't do it or you want to quit but then it gets better and just know we all went through it. Put your 100% all into it because you are now in charge of people's lives. Pay attention to everything, question what you don't understand, never do anything on a person that you don't know how to do. Figure out your style, do you learn better by watching first and then doing? The best way for me is watch first, do second, teach third. Utilize all resources, not just your textbook! Look at you tube videos, articles, even all nurses, but know when is appropriate for what. Only use evidenced based practice articles for school papers. Make close friends in school and start study groups. Have a way to deal with stress such as yoga, running, etc. Do not memorize anything other than lab values, instead conceptualize so that it makes sense. The fact that you're already on here is awesome and a great first step. Welcome to nursing!

Congrats on being accepted to nursing school! I just completed my first year and what a whirlwind!

My best advice is to have as much fun as you can before school starts. Spend time with your family and friends. Clean out your closet and any other household thing that may need to be done. If you work, save up as much as you can. Reason being is you will not have one free minute to do any of these things once school starts. School will be your entire life and you will have very little free time between the start of school and graduation.

There really is not a lot of prepping you can do. Each program is different and you may wind up wasting a lot of time for nothing. (I too was super excited to get started) Seriously...have the best summer ever!

It will be hard, but know that you can do it.

Thank you everyone for your feedbacks and advice. I am very excited to start this journey.

I just finished Pharm and LOVED it. I'm really good at science, but I was nervous about starting nursing school because I heard horror stories. Honestly, it was a lot easier than I thought it was going to be. Ended up getting over 100% in the class. I'm starting foundations in the Fall, which is technically my first semester, but we had the option to take Pharm accelerated rather than with foundations. Good luck with school and wish you the best!

+ Add a Comment