Sick Leave

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi everyone,

My sick leave allocation is 9 shifts a year, so 8 hours each. I have used an extra 6 because I had a fall and complications. My charge nurse has put a referral in for a formal review. I want another job, but not because of the sick leave problem. How can I approach this in my interview because I am aware she will state that I have used x amount of sick leave and the formal review will be on my file. And it will look bad. I feel that getting hired will be a problem. Apart from using up my sick leave there are no other performance issues. With all my sick leave I have provided medical certificate, hospital info etc. What can I do ? I would like to get a position in the same organisation. I'm feeling down about it because I'm afraid I will get stuck there.

Specializes in Psych ICU, addictions.

It may or may not be part of the record potential interviewers receive...and even if it is, the interviewer may not bring it up in discussion.

So if they don't mention it, you don't mention it.

If they do bring it up, then explain what happened and that you provided your manager with documentation from your MD.

And while no one in the world can predict injury or illness, nor will I tell you "suck it up, buttercup" and go to work when you are truly sick...from this point on, be mindful of when you take off and why. Do so even if you leave this organization, because it's pretty common for organizations to have policies regarding absences and excessive use of them. What you encountered is in no way unique. Nor is it illegal or unfair.

If you have a medical condition that may require more frequent absences, see if you qualify for something called intermittent leave (they may call it something else at your organization). This would allow you more leniency in how many days you can take off. However, keep in mind that every so often, you'll have to verify your eligibility for such leave. Nor is it a license for you to call out as much as you like.

Best of luck.

+ Add a Comment