Bed Bug Panic - Help

Specialties School

Published

Have a student the another student found a bug crawling on him. Teacher, secretary and 2 maintenance guys decided it is a bed bug. The student is brought to me to check him over... how do I check for bed bugs??? Lice... I know lice, but I've never seen a bed bug in my life and since they don't live on people how am I supposed to check him. They also want me to call the parent who is likely going to have several questions. They want me to send him home, just because the bug was on him does not mean it came from his home. I don't feel it is my place to make this call, especially when it has not been professionally verified. Now I have teachers coming to me asking me what to do and telling me they refuse to go back into the classrooms in which the student was in. The administration is asking me if I feel I need to send a notice out to the entire school or what... This is not a medical issue and don't do pest control nor have I studied bugs. Anyone else ever had to deal with this??? Please help!!!!

Specializes in Telemetry, Gastroenterology, School Nrs.
I LOVE that you had admin sign the letter and are going to refer all the panic to them.

Yes for sure! Stick with that plan... including your panic-stricken staff members. I am so sorry you are dealing with this!

+ Add a Comment