Tearing my hair out over noncompliant DM2 patients!

Specialties NP

Published

I am a new NP and don't know how to "wake up" noncompliant DM2 patients. Unfortunately, a significant number of these patients are in denial and refuse to make any lifestyle changes and some even refuse to take their medications and/or insulin as prescribed. I experienced this during clinical rotations and now am seeing this as a practicing NP. Has anyone had success with this situation and can share some tips?

Examples:

1. Patient who is DM2 for 20 years comes in and says he/she eats whatever they want, whenever they want. A1C1 > 12 !!! Shrugs at everything I say. Their biggest concern is hypoglycemia, although they are only on a low dose of basal insulin and can't specify their last episode of hypoglycemia. Called clinic today to say they no longer want to use insulin and only want to be on one oral medication (I refused and said patient must make appointment to see me). This patient also has refused to get any annual lab work for past 3 years or other exams such as eye, foot, etc.

2. Another long-term DM2 patient with A1C1 > 10 and random BG > 180. This patient's biggest concern is hypoglycemia and is convinced that a BG of 150 is perfect and that an A1C1 of 10+ is just fine; became agitated when I explained this is not the case. Patient admitted close relative had just had a foot amputation due to DM2, but was indifferent. Patient had lost weight due to other health issue, is still slightly overweight, and was concerned about being too thin and frail. Patient stated they don't know what they eat and don't care. I had a hard time convincing this patient to obtain routine lab work, but they did it. I had a panic attack when I received CMP: eGFR 65, Creatinine > 3.0. I was amazed this patient was still alive! Patient was sent to ER, of course.

Any suggestions would be welcome!

Specializes in Cardiology, Research, Family Practice.

It is a very tiny part of the equation. Fast food and crappy stores only survive in places like Detroit (which btw is hardly representative of the nation at large) because the demand is there. Even in rural areas where people have to drive out of their to go anywhere, fast food or grocery store, their preferences and spending habits are the same.

"Access", however loosely that is defined, is not a substantial part of the problem.

Neither is whatever food options are around at work as mentioned by a previous poster. Drug reps provide lunch every day at my clinic. Free. When they bring wings and fries everybody eats. When they bring grilled chicken and veggies, people go through the hassle and expense of driving to get fast food.

I'm all about identifying causative and correlative factors, and for a while was on board with the whole "improving access" rally because it certainly seems like it should make a difference. But as the evidence shows, it makes no difference. Time to spend our efforts elsewhere.

It is a very tiny part of the equation. Fast food and crappy stores only survive in places like Detroit (which btw is hardly representative of the nation at large) because the demand is there. Even in rural areas where people have to drive out of their to go anywhere, fast food or grocery store, their preferences and spending habits are the same.

"Access", however loosely that is defined, is not a substantial part of the problem.

Neither is whatever food options are around at work as mentioned by a previous poster. Drug reps provide lunch every day at my clinic. Free. When they bring wings and fries everybody eats. When they bring grilled chicken and veggies, people go through the hassle and expense of driving to get fast food.

I'm all about identifying causative and correlative factors, and for a while was on board with the whole "improving access" rally because it certainly seems like it should make a difference. But as the evidence shows, it makes no difference. Time to spend our efforts elsewhere.

This ^

Basically health care is like economics.

For years economists would create models based on people making the most rational decisions in any given situation that would most benefit them. Their models never worked. It was actually revolutionary and had to be pointed out to them that their models didn't work because people are rarely rational, people are far to often idiots whose behavior models the worst possible choices toward self-interest whether its money or health.

Fast food sells and makes people obese for the same reason people on motorcycles ride without helmets, and will likely kill them just as fast.

Hobbits are a huge one,

No hobbits are small. ;) :roflmao:

+ Add a Comment