What are my chances post

Nursing Students SRNA

Published

I'm Currently applying for Anesthesia school, application deadline is November 1st so I have time to prepare my application before submission but I do have worries regarding my stats for school. My stats are as follows:

-3.44 cumulative GPA. Graduated Cum Laude with my RN-BSN program I completed. My ADN was completed at a local community college. All science courses (A&P, micro, chemistry, stats, etc.) are A's. My ADN specific nursing courses are the only classes that have brought my GPA down.

-3 years experience at level 3 trauma center combined MICU/CCU/SICU. I have had some relief charge experience an I have been the preceptor to quite a few new hires during their orientation period. CRRT/IABP/Impella LVAD trained.

-Certified in BLS, ACLS, PALS, and I have my CCRN as well as my TNCC

-I have a combined 34 hours shadowed with multiple CRNA's between two different hospitals in different cities for varied experience. One of the hospitals I shadowed at is directly affiliated with the CRNA school I am applying to.

For what it's worth I also have no spouse, no children, 26 years old and have full focus on completing school with very minimal current distractions.

Specializes in ICU.

Well, you miss every "chance" you don't take. Go for it. I think you'll get in somewhere.

Specializes in Anesthesia.

If you apply to enough schools you will get in somewhere with your stats. The only red flag to me is the "level 3 trauma center" designation of your hospital. Everything else looks good though. Are there any larger local/academic/level 1 or 2 ICUs around that maybe you could work per diem in? This would definitely help your application, but it all depends on what the program directors of the schools you're interested want. You can always debate that you have more autonomy in smaller ICUs, etc. etc. etc., but your competition will largely be people who work in level 1 trauma centers at teaching hospitals which looks better on paper to some PDs.

I emailed PDs of all the programs I applied to in order to see how I could make myself a stronger applicant. All responded and were surprisingly very happy to help. Definitely apply though!

+ Add a Comment