Ways to get patient-care experience before nursing school?

Nursing Students Pre-Nursing

Published

The only pre-requisites I have left to apply to nursing programs are science (I have a previous bachelors so some stuff transferred). Since I also need A's in these courses, for me this means taking them one at a time -- for reasons that are a mixture of coming from a non-science background, having small kids and also trying to dis-entangle myself from my current profession.

What's frustrating is, in the meantime, having no idea what actual hands-on patient care is like -- the overall medical world I'm working so hard to be part of. A lot of my classmates are medical assistants, LPNs, EMTs, etc. I envy their access to the "world of healthcare" and at times feel silly pursuing this RN fantasy coming from a 100% unrelated field.

While I know my focus should be on mastering these pre-requisites as much as possible, scoring well on the TEAS, etc -- I also wonder if it would make sense to volunteer in some capacity? I don't have tons of time to commit to unpaid work, but would be willing to do what I can. Or should I invest in becoming a medical assistant (no idea what costs are for that) or start at the LPN route first?

I think what interests me most is palliative care, but open to any ideas that would give me a hands-on experience (where I could also not be in the way of the "real" medical pros of course).

Thanks for any ideas :)

There's a thing called nurse tech where you babysit patients, so I'm told. Doesn't require extra training and you can do it part time or prn. I have two friends doing that while in nursing school and they enjoy it, and feel like it has given them a window into the hospital.

Nurse tech where I am is typically a CNA with extra training for accuchecks, Foley caths, iv removal and simple dressing changes. Pay is slightly higher than a CNA at the hospital.

We have a separate patient sitter position where someone sits with the patient if they are deemed a self harm issue or too confused to be left in a room without direct supervision. This one pays less than a CNA.

Either job would give you a little insight to the nursing field but not really a true look at what you would be doing as the nurse. Plus, there are many other jobs in nursing outside of the hospital setting, or away from the bedside all together-although the later usually requires some initial bedside experience first.

I volunteer as a hospice family caregiver. I don't do hands-on patient care, but I spend time with patients during the last six months of their lives. I felt drawn to hospice work and enjoy the opportunity to see how facilities operate. It's a little hard now that I'm in nursing school because volunteers aren't allowed to change patients, transfer them, toilet, then, feed them, etc. and I do those things at clinical all the time, but I love the work and I can set my own schedule.

I also have some time to work on pre-reqs, and I was considering doing a phlebotomy program. There are a lot of regulations here in California, but for 3k I found a program to do a lecture/lab course for two weeks, and they set you up with an externship afterwards. I think it will be a great way to get experience with venipuncture and working with patients!

+ Add a Comment