DWAI 20 years ago, Florida wants details for endorsement

Nurses Recovery

Published

So I have been trying to get my endorsement so i can move to and get a job in Florida. It has been one gigantic pain in the butt. The latest thing was my background check returned a DWAI I got in 1999. I need to get my arrest report, court papers etc. Anyone have any experience with FL and getting endorsed? I am already licensed in NY and I had no problems with it when I needed to do my background check for school or licensing. The incident also happened in NY, my home state.

I have no clue for Florida, but all I can say is that I pray to everything good and holy that they won't make you do monitoring for something that happened 19 years ago, before nursing!! Especially since you were licensed successfully for all those years without further incident. Of all the unjust things that would be!!

For what it's worth, anecdotally, it seems that it's usually a problem for initial licensure if it's going to be a problem. It's not like NY didn't know. So why would FL punish you when it was disclosed and not acted on forever ago? But crazy crud happens in these programs...

Hopefully someone from Florida will chime in. If they do anything other than just take your records, check them out, and issue you a license, I will completely lose any faith that I had in these programs to accurately protect the public (not that I had much to start with).

I'm hoping they just place them in your file and let it go, giving you a clean license.

Keep us posted!

I currently reside in Iowa, but am a native Floridian. About 3 years ago I relocated back home for a little over a year... it was THEE biggest hassle to finally get clearance to work in the state.

I had no problems in Iowa, Tennessee or Texas where this is concerned.

For myself, I have a misdemeanor that was expunged from my record back in 2010.

The BON cleared me without a hitch, it was the state's background clearance that was the hold up.

I had my active FL RN license in my hand, yet could not work until the state of FL itself cleared me.

In FL, u must do a mandatory every 5 years full background check. The kicker is getting cleared that first time.

I sent in ALL the copies of my court paperwork, including the expungement, yet it drug on for months.

It took many many repeated calls. Up until the very end, It was the same conversation: "it is processing, we have what we need, we don't need anything..." Idk if I hounded them enough in Tallhassee (where the background screens are processed) that they finally transfered me to another section of their background processing unit besides the basic customer service operator.

I literally had to read my paperwork to the processor on the phone, to point out to him where it was expunged/cleared.

He basically responded, "oh ok"... and that was the end of it.

Keep on them. Send them everything u can.

Don't give up! FL is an amazing state... especially to work in!

Good luck!!

Just to follow up incase anyone else ever has this situation I sent them the court records and stuff they ask for. I also sent the description of the course I had to take along with the community service paperwork and paper saying I completed the course. In the statement I told them what happened with the accident and why stuff was found in my system. I explained my confusion about saying yes or no to the DUI question, that I wasn't aware Florida didn't have a dwai classification.

And I am now licensed to practice in NY and FL í ½í¸€

+ Add a Comment