Getting Frustrated with Nor Cal/SF Bay Area Lack of School Options

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Specializes in Primary Care.

I've been on a hunt for programs that work for working adults, because, let's face it, in California, especially the Bay Area, it cannot be afforded to not work for X amount of time. Every program that I've found, , National, Carrington, Chamberlain, etc are either a three hour drive from San Francisco or are in Southern California. Does anyone know why this is? I would think that there is a demand in the Bay Area for programs designed like mentioned above.

Different demographic around San Francisco.

I understand your frustration as I live in the same area. I've asked that same question to the people at and a few other schools. We definitely need more options up here!

If I had to guess, I'd say the cost of real estate is too high. A closer school might be more convenient, but how many "working adults" could afford to attend after property costs were worked into the cost of tuition?

I would agree, but National University and University of Phoenix has campuses close by, but does not offer the nursing programs.

@cuttykupcake Who would we pose that question to? Board of Nursing?

I understand your frustration. Im from the bay area and moved of state because all nursing schools are so impacted. The reason why theres a long waitlist from schools is because schools cant get clinical placements. Theres a lot of schools in California, but theres not a lot of hospitals and clinic sites to give placements for the influx of students. If you know you want to be a nurse i would recommend applying to other states. Don't stay in California. Even getting your first job, you'll have better luck outside of california. All my friends who stayed took awhile to get their first job. Its much easier applying to California when you have experience.

+ Add a Comment