Is Major Depression a mental illness?

Nursing Students General Students

Published

Hi y'all.

I just have a quick question. So I went to see doctor few days ago, and I asked him directly, if Depression is mental illness, he told me NO - it is a medical problem and can be controlled.

I wonder is there any state in US require nursing student to disclose their "Major depressive disorder" - aka Depression?

My opinion: I know many people who have had depression even at the time of applying for nursing school, so depression is a pretty common medical problem now?

A lot of providers say things like that to help people feel better about their diagnosis. It's in the DSM V, which makes it a psychiatric/mental illness. There's nothing special about depression that makes it more of a "medical" illness than any other DSM V diagnosis (except, I guess, maybe the personality disorders) and most all of the DSM V diagnoses "can be controlled," so that also is not any kind of meaningful distinction between depression and the other psychiatric illnesses. Yes, it's common and v. treatable.

It is a mental illness, but like I said in the other thread, it's not one that you have to report to the Texas BON. Their requirements for reporting are very specific.

I have major depressive disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder. I've worked very, very hard on getting both under control and living my best life. This includes cognitive behavioral therapy and medication.

+ Add a Comment