Should I accept the job?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hello fellow Nurses,

I just came back from an interview from a Subacute rehab/LTC. I am a 1 year post grad who got her license last Nov. I interviewed with the DON and ADON of the facility. As a new grad nurse, they told me that I will get about 4 weeks orientation and more if I need it and also they will place me at a LTC unit until I get used to giving big med passes. The interview went great and they seem like they were willing to train me. I got a tour of the facility and it looks like a small med surge floor. It's only a 30 minute bus ride from my house.

The downside to this was the schedule. They want to hire me full time 7-3:30 pm work 10 days and every other weekend. It's kinda confusing and it's not a standard 12 hour shifts/ 3 days. Another thing was that pay rate is only $24/hr for new grads. The HR asked me how much are other facilities paying. I told her that based on what I know from classmates who are working at rehab facilities they get $28-30/hr. She seemed shocked about it and told me that she will pass it to the company. Another thing is that I get about 20 patients and 30 if one nurse calls out. The DON told me that most patients are stable and that they need supervision and meds and little treatment here and there.

The HR told me to use the place as a stepping stone and that if I want to leave after getting some experience that I can talk to her again about pay rate and that she will negotiate with me. I told her that I don't want to be oriented at a place and work and then jump to another one. I want to work at a place long term. I told her if I could have some time to think about it and I got her number and email. Although she didn't tell me when to call her back and I forgot to ask.

Anyways, what do you guys think?? Should I accept this job?? I have applied to other places about a week ago and this is the place that called me back so far.

Specializes in Progressive Care, Sub-Acute, Hospice, Geriatrics.

Thanks for the reply!! Yes my last offer is a Subacute and the one that I receive an interview is another Subacute rehab/nursing home. I also prefer 8s but the problem is that means I'll be working 4 or 5 days in a week. I would rather to cut my work week short so I can spend time with my family. I did just started applying.

I haven't applied to others yet but I do have some connections that want me to work with them such as dialysis, ventilator only nursing home, behavioral/psych place.

I am just wondering.....if you were new which place would you rather go to in terms of what would be a rather fit for a new grad??

Thank you very much for the continuous replies!! You guys are the best!!

Specializes in Psychiatry, Community, Nurse Manager, hospice.
Thanks for the reply!! Yes my last offer is a Subacute and the one that I receive an interview is another Subacute rehab/nursing home. I also prefer 8s but the problem is that means I'll be working 4 or 5 days in a week. I would rather to cut my work week short so I can spend time with my family. I did just started applying.

I haven't applied to others yet but I do have some connections that want me to work with them such as dialysis, ventilator only nursing home, behavioral/psych place.

I am just wondering.....if you were new which place would you rather go to in terms of what would be a rather fit for a new grad??

Thank you very much for the continuous replies!! You guys are the best!!

I think new grads should go where their interest lies. If you don't know what you're interested in yet, then pick the job with the longest and best orientation.

Specializes in Progressive Care, Sub-Acute, Hospice, Geriatrics.

That's a good point. Thank you for replying to me!!

+ Add a Comment