Made a mistake

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hey guys. Any insight is appreciated. I'm a new graduated nurse in a residency program. I have 2 great preceptors. I work on a fast paced pediatric unit. I've been working for 3 weeks. I feel absolutely awful. I made a mistake last week and I learned about it on Friday. I just still feel awful. I marked an ordwe for fluids reviewed on this little boy and forgot to look at the order again for the rest of the day. I marked it reviewed at 0955. My preceptor never saw the order so we never hung the fluids. The night shift nurse caught it but the boy was really dehydrated by then. Got stuck over 5 times trying to get an INT on him but no one could get it. Even their most experienced nurse. So the PICC team had to get it on him the next day. I didn't know about it till my review later that week. My manager and preceptor were very understanding and didn't beret me. Just helped me come up with a different game plan from here on out.

But I have to send a weekly summary to the educators and even though I didn't write about this incident, the educator said she wanted to talk to me one on one about my preceptor. Idk why. I'm a nervous wreck. Gahh.

I can't tell you how many times and in how many situations the old Dragnet quote has popped into my head. It works.

We're showing our age. I can so easily visualize the lead actors. Of course Harry Morgan went on to MASH.

Specializes in Psych (25 years), Medical (15 years).

This is a noteworthy situation.

We have a new grad and AN.com member who admits to a mistake and requests insights from seasoned nurses.

Then, we have a group of understanding nurses who give understanding, empathy, and information with a little humor thrown in.

It doesn't get any better than this!

mjcrrrj & co, let me say this: YOU ARE HAPPENING!

I learned when I held positions where I worked alone to indicate something needed to be completed by drawing a little box next to a note. When the task was completed, the little box got an "X":

attachment.php?attachmentid=26598&stc=1

This technique continues to served me well.

Once again, my admiration and respect to all!

And welcome to AN.com, mjcrrrj!

+ Add a Comment