I am not "such a good nurse!", a vent

Nurses General Nursing

Published

No, no no no, no no.

I am not "such a good nurse!" because I immediately had the thought that this patient's antiepileptics should be administered IV.

His admitting diagnosis is epilepsy. He seized in his SNF. He seized in the ED. We are keeping him for a PEG because he frequently refuses/is too lethargic to take his meds and does not have capacity to make his own decisions.

But sure, let's keep his antiepileptics PO. Let's continue to document, "Pt refused meds, MD aware, no further orders". Really?

SPOILER ALERT he had another seizure.

Because I recognized within five minutes of looking at the chart that this patient needed his meds IV, I am "such a good nurse!". This is the wrong idea. Yes, I made a good call. But, this is not "good" nursing. This is nursing. This is medicine. This is basic common sense. By saying that I'm going above and beyond in this instance, to me, you lower the bar for what is acceptable care. Because the fact that this was not addressed after he'd been in our building for 24 hours is abhorrent.

Or maybe I'm just supernurse.

Or coumadin with INRs coming back super low and prescribers continually increasing the dose....when the real issue is he isn't even getting his coumadin. I remember this in a particular dementia pt, who if you didn't give him his meds early enough before he sundowned, he refused his meds. You couldn't even go near the guy for anything, he'd kick you.

Amen. SNF's are a nightmare. You got CMA's not giving meds, diverting meds, nurses not giving or diverting meds. It's just downright dangerous. The 2 years I spent working SNF was the worst decision I made next to marrying my ex-husband.

I agree. Why do I need to be recognized for doing what I am paid for?

Our hospital has a "good catch" thing that comes out in the daily e-mails from admin, it is things managers can put in for things employees do, such as "such and such checked medication before administration and found it was wrong, so got it corrected", " tech recognized pt now fall status and was updated in system", "hazardous condition found and reported", "nurse checking medication recognized expired medication and took appropriate action".

So doing your job as you should now receives hospital wide acknowledgement?

Specializes in adult psych, LTC/SNF, child psych.

Did this patient even have capacity to refuse? I've spent so much time working with involuntary psych patients that I realize even though people can be declared "incapable" of making their own decisions, it's a ****** to get people properly medicated if they're not interested in their own health. Nursing is responsible for catching some stupid sh!t sometimes, aren't we?

Specializes in oncology, MS/tele/stepdown.

To be fair to the SNF, I can totally see the possibility that he'd be sedated after actually taking the meds, and then he'd miss the next dose because he couldn't safely swallow. Then he has more seizures, so neurology increases the dose, so then he's more sedated when he takes them, etc. But even without the capacity to refuse, you can't just make someone swallow if they don't want to. Once I had him calm and before he passed out, I was able to get PO meds in him once. It took me a few tries to get those meds in, and with only 4 patients I had the luxury of time, which I'm sure nurses at SNFs don't.

I'm hoping after the PEG he'd be followed for a possible dose adjustment, but who knows. They did eventually transfer him to the neuro floor that he should have been on in the first place, so I'll never know.

Thanks for all the responses.

+ Add a Comment