Long term care, you can move on (but don't have to)

Specialties Geriatric

Published

I started out in long-term care over five years ago, I've been a charge nurse and supervisor and still work per diem because I really like my coworkers and residents. I transitioned into an acute care med-surg position this past summer and I'm transferring to the ICU in the next month. I've seen many new grads lament that the *only* thing they can find is LTC positions and will that effectively end their career if they start there. I wanted to share to not only let you know that a long-term care position is not only NOT the end of a career, but you shouldn't underestimate the value of the skills that you will develop in that care environment.

When I first started, I had classmates that would apologize to me when I told them where I worked, as if their hospital positions were what I really wanted, but just couldn't get. In reality, the schedule options of LTC worked for me, not a hospital job. Learning how juggle med passes, treatment passes, dealing with families, getting lab and test results, calling MDs, and spending time with patients with a 30 patient assignment was a great way to learn time management. Having many stable patients, not everyone gets daily vitals, I had to develop strong assessment skills to identify patients that had a change in condition (like a non-verbal quadriplegic going into sepsis). On our short term rehab unit we've had probably 20 of the 30 patients that were easily as acute as the patients on my current med-surg floor, IVs, wound vacs, dressing changes, etc. And it's a 4-hour med nurse and the charge, for all 30 patients, with 3 CNAs. Those were some run-your-butt-off shifts, and my hat is off to my coworkers that pull those shifts day in and day out. Point being, the skills of prioritization and assessment are key to success in that environment and those skills are hugely beneficial when faced with a 6-8 patient acute care assignment.

When I started in the med-surg position, I was a little intimidated at first by the change in acuity, would I know when someone was facing a crisis? Could I handle the higher acuity environment? Turns out, the skills I developed in LTC continue to come in handy and my new manager in the ICU even commented that she has found that nurses with similar backgrounds have to have strong assessment skills and when they're given the extra tools of constant monitors in the room, they often find success. I hope that will be the outcome of my story and I'm excited for the new challenge.

I hope that my story helps others considering or currently in long-term care positions that don't feel they're putting themselves in a position to move out. And for those that love LTC and want to stay there, more power to you, we're all nurses and we're all using the skills we learned to make a positive impact on the lives of our patients.

I love this post!! I didn't start in LTC but I have gone to LTC for the flexibility, schedule and love of the elderly. My biggest pet peeve is when people assume I'm in LTC because I can't find a job. It's insulting

Specializes in Geriatrics.
I love this post!! I didn't start in LTC but I have gone to LTC for the flexibility, schedule and love of the elderly. My biggest pet peeve is when people assume I'm in LTC because I can't find a job. It's insulting

It really is insulting. I'll admit I only took my LTC position because working graveyard shift with PDN was slowly killing me (literally), but I'll also be the first to admit that it takes a special kind of nurse to work LTC. I went into this position thinking it would only be temporary, but now I never want to leave.

My patients and their families have become my family. I love them all even when they yell at me. :p

Specializes in Geriatrics w/rehab, LTC, hospice patient.

I'd give anything to be offered a job outside of LTC/SNF. But, based on circumstances, I've probably got at LEAST 8 months left in the position. And this is after already working nearly 2 years. Unfortunately, I may be a lifetime SNF nurse :/

Specializes in Geriatrics.
I'd give anything to be offered a job outside of LTC/SNF. But, based on circumstances, I've probably got at LEAST 8 months left in the position. And this is after already working nearly 2 years. Unfortunately, I may be a lifetime SNF nurse :/

Perhaps you could look into better facilities, maybe places that label themselves as retirement communities? I've only worked in one LTC facility and have had nothing but good experiences so I can't relate.

You won't get your skills in LTC, hate to be the bearer of bad news. In fact it is downright dangerous to work LTC as a new grad. But hey it's your license.

You get your skills in the hospital. LTC is way too dangerous for a new grad due to lack of resources and the nurses that do have experience are too swamped themselves to help you. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but in LTC, YOU are the doctor. Best wishes.

Specializes in New Critical care NP, Critical care, Med-surg, LTC.
You get your skills in the hospital. LTC is way too dangerous for a new grad due to lack of resources and the nurses that do have experience are too swamped themselves to help you. Hate to be the bearer of bad news but in LTC, YOU are the doctor. Best wishes.

So nurses that haven't worked in hospitals have no skills? That's ridiculous. Again, it sounds like you have had particularly difficult experiences, and I'm sorry for that, but you cannot make the broad statement that ALL LTC facilities are dangerous places for new grads. I worked five years in LTC, gained plenty of experience and skills, that helped me transition to acute care. There are great LTC nurses, and I'm proud to have worked with some of them.

Specializes in Gerontology.

Great post, JBMmom! I started out in LTC and one of my "slogans" is, if you can survive LTC you can survive anything! Nothing I see as a nurse scares me now. I know I have the strength to give any situation my best. I may never have done something before but I will sure as heck do my best and I'll remain calm while I do it! Heck, remember in school where we had a kazillion questions about time management and prioritizing? Working in LTC made those skills so innate in us that we no longer have to think about it...they just line up automatically. Thanks for the post:)

+ Add a Comment