Homelessness

Nurses General Nursing

Published

If you graduate nursing school, assuming you were living with your parents, and you had a lot of student loans and your parents said, "You graduated, now, get out" and you found a job as an RN in a field you wanted to get into or didn't, say you had no money and you had to live in a van for awhile, how would the facility feel about your lack of address? Say you had no friends you could reach out to to allow you to utilize their address for your mail. I know companies not related to medical field who have no problem with you living in a car or van or whatever that helps you save money on rent or mortgage so you can pay off student loan debt.

I'm not living with my parents, but I will be in this situation soon, so I'm hoping facilities would have no problem with it assuming you can prove you can maintain cleanliness.

I'll have enough money saved up by the time I graduate where I can afford a van, preferably white cargo van, where I can avoid the stress of paying rent/mortgage bills.

Why did manager say no?

Because we worked in a facility designed specifically for sterilizing operating room surgery packs used for patients. If an OR center found a hair in their surgery packs we built for them, the whole thing was wrapped back up and sent back to us. Our rooms we used to build the medical packs were triple filtered with a negative airflow in the entrance and positive airflow to the sterilization gas chamber.

She didn't like the thought of me living in a van because she felt I wasn't going to be clean for the job. I should have just not asked and bought a van anyway lol I didn't listen to myself.

I don't know if every state is like this, but in Nevada, the DMV does NOT take PO box as an address to be listed on a drivers license which is another obstacle in the road.

I don't know if every state is like this, but in Nevada, the DMV does NOT take PO box as an address to be listed on a drivers license which is another obstacle in the road.

My UPS store mailbox has a street address that we use. Or you could check out South Dakota residency. No income tax and you only have to spend one night there to establish residency before they'll give you a driver's license. Strange but true.

At some point, try to invest in a mini house or small house. Could you live on your parents land if you got one?

+ Add a Comment