Have you moved out of state for a nursing job?

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.

Hi all,

I have been toying with the idea of moving out of state to find a nursing job, since my options are limited in my area because the market is saturated.

I just want to hear from those that have moved out of state after taking a job and how they felt about it. Did you regret it or is it tolerable? Did you end up moving back "home" once you got some experience or did you stay?

I would move to Ohio since my brother and family live there, and from what I can see the market isn't quite a bad and the cost of living is MUCH cheaper! Any input is appreciated.

Annie

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

I actually moved to Ohio from North Carolina for my nursing job! I have family in the state, and they told me how great the benefits here are. I also wanted to go back to school for my RN to BSN, and heard the tuition reimbursement was *much* better here. I would encourage you to look into it more. Contact the board of nursing in the state you are thinking about moving too as well to find out what the transfer requirements are. Many states (including Ohio) have temporary licenses so that you can work while obtaining your permanent RN license.

I ended up staying after I graduated with my BSN. The thought of going back to a non-union state makes me cringe a bit :p

Specializes in Nursing Professional Development.

I've done it several times in my long career -- but not lately. I don't regret it because I got to see several different parts of the country and saw the different cultures in each region. It also helped me to advance in my career.

However, it can be lonely -- and you have to use your vacation time (and budget) to see your family, which means there is less vacation time available for "fun stuff." To be happy and succeed you either have to be the type of person who makes friends easily -- or be the type of person who doesn't need a lot of social interaction in your life. The best situation is to be a bit of both types.

And you have to be somewhat strong and independent -- able to take care of yourself -- and not need someone to hold your hand during all of life's challenges. Moving somewhere close to some relatives or friends helps with that, though. Two of my moves were to places where I already knew some people and that helped a lot. For a couple of moves, I didn't know a single person in that region -- and that was more difficult and required more strength.

Specializes in ED, Pedi Vasc access, Paramedic serving 6 towns.
I actually moved to Ohio from North Carolina for my nursing job! I have family in the state, and they told me how great the benefits here are. I also wanted to go back to school for my RN to BSN, and heard the tuition reimbursement was *much* better here. I would encourage you to look into it more. Contact the board of nursing in the state you are thinking about moving too as well to find out what the transfer requirements are. Many states (including Ohio) have temporary licenses so that you can work while obtaining your permanent RN license.

I ended up staying after I graduated with my BSN. The thought of going back to a non-union state makes me cringe a bit :p

Thank you for your input Buckeye. How is the pay in Ohio for a hospital staff nurse?

Annie

Specializes in Hematology-oncology.

I think new grads make around $25/hour here...but I don't know for certain. Most hospitals pay more for BSN. Nurses working in the "big 3" (Cincinnati, Columbus, or Cleveland) make significantly more than nurses in small towns. For that reason, a lot of us live in rings around the cities and commute in. Best of both worlds--the cost of living of a small town + the pay of the big city. You just have to be ok with a 30-40 mile commute. Also, any of the big cities have great parks, fantastic libraries, lots of sport options, great restaurants, good zoos, etc. I love it here!

+ Add a Comment