The state of nursing now

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Was in a meeting last week and I got the vibe that things were not looking good. Surge pay being cut, budget was brought up, and the constant word of "efficient" and some company has been brought in to cut the budget.

Anyone else beginning to feel a change. Anyone been through this before? How worried should I be?

Specializes in Critical Care; Cardiac; Professional Development.

Personally I would be looking for another job. Nothing ever benefits the employees in those kinds of meetings.

Some penny pincher trying to get more from employees for less pay. If the employee continues to accept work at this lower pay rate, it will stay low. If the facility cannot get staff to cover their open shifts, they will either short their scheduled staff horribly (have only seen this recently when no agency nurse was WILLING to take on the shift-likely due to getting screwed too many times before by the facility) OR pay agency to fill the void. Now, I know what some facilities pay new nurses, seasoned nurses, PRN, and POOL nurses...if there is agency in the house they are paying more for that agency nurse per hour than any of the facility nurses with the surg pay of $10 and probably even the OT. Why? Because the agency rate will be higher, the agency also makes money for sending the nurse, and if that nurse is in OT, at lease the agencies that I've worked for, the hospital ate the OT cost of having that nurse work.

So, if they're screaming for help but you see agency being used when no one else will pick up shifts for less incentive, maybe it's time for them to re-consider the pay cut...penny wise, dollar foolish.

+ Add a Comment