PRN or Quit all together

Nurses General Nursing

Published

Hi all,

I've been at my current critical care job for a little over 8 months. I like what I do and have learned a lot, however, there have been some very recent major family issues (my husband's new medical problems) that require my attention. My current job is night shift fulltime. In order to address the family issues, I need to be home more often and at night. It will most likely take a year to fully get my little family back on track.

In the last week, I have applied to several M-F 8-6 pm nursing positions and will have 3 interviews next week. The positions are those of chronic disease RN educator, OB/Gyn clinic nurse, and Cardiology clinic staff nurse. I will most likely be offered one of these positions (on the positive side) and will now face a new dilemma. I will have to drastically cut back on my hours at the hospital to PRN or quit altogether. I would hate to quit before my year is up because I'd like to keep that bridge open. With that being said, is PRN with the hospital a good idea at least until I reach the year mark? Would it be wise to do this as opposed to quitting?

Thanks for your input!

Specializes in CrItical Care, Street Medicine/PHM, School nurse.
Yes, if your new job is Monday to Friday 8 am to 6 pm you won't have much extra home time?

If you can afford it a benefited part time position where you currently work makes more sense.

I think this will be something I will bring up to my manager when I talk with her next week. If their part time hours are doable then I might stick it our with them. I know of a couple of nurses that work 7 am - 3 pm a couple of times a week. Most of those nurses have been here for years though so they probably earned those hours. Doesn't hurt to ask I guess.

Try to find a less stressful RN job and you may be able to handle the hours. PRN has it's downsides if you need dependable cash, just keep that in mind.

Specializes in Cardiology, School Nursing, General.

Exactly how everyone said, that you shouldn't count your chickens before the hatch. See if you get the job first. As for PRN, I would maybe not, especially if your family needs you more now. If the new jobs pay well and your husband gets disablity, do you think you guys will be okay or is there a need for another job with a new job? Because if that's the thing, you may have to think real hard how to work with your job now and the new one.

Hopefully things go well and I wish you luck

Hey OP, I'm in a similar position as you- graduated in May 2017 as a new grad and have been in icu since then- currently have family situation where my elderly parents got sick and need support in a different part of the state (4 hours away). I was considering the same options you were as well but under slightly different contexts. From what I've heard so far from various people (forums, experienced nurses, friends, etc.) is that you should wait a year so you're not classified as a "new grad" anymore. On top of that, I've heard that a year is a year in HR's eyes- so even though you were on orientation a couple months during your first year, HR just sees that as 1 year working- I don't know how accurate that is but that's what I've heard. I've been told by one of my former mentors that it's best to go prn so you don't burn bridges or something like that. I've heard also from friends that as long as you have a 1 year experience in the icu it shouldn't be too hard to find a job since you would have some experience, especially in a highly coveted specialty. Again, these are only things I've heard and looked up- I'm in a similar boat as you so I'm hoping these are true. On a personal note, family comes first for me. No job can ever give me the satisfaction and love like family- you may come across several jobs/careers in a lifetime but you only have 1 family.

You might want to consider FMLA. I think you need to be with the employer for a year before it applies. You can use FMLA to help care for your husband, I believe. I'm definitely no expert on FMLA, but it's something to consider/investigate.

+ Add a Comment