Dallas vs. Houston vs. San Antonio

Nurses General Nursing

Published

1. Which city is best for this new grad?

• Dallas
    • Houston
      San Antonio

5 members have participated

Hello everyone,

I graduate very soon and have been saving immensely for a big move. I currently live in the NorthWest area of Louisiana and have plans to live in Texas for the first few years of my nursing career. From experienced nurses, what pros/cons would you give a new grad that's:

-23 yrs old

-single without kids

-Not really a party person

-African(I enjoy diversity especially from the African diaspora(Caribbean etc...)

-not looking to date until probably 25 yrs old.

-continuing my education for either Psych or Neonatal NP.

Specializes in Psychiatric RN & Retired Psychiatric CNA.
If Austin doesn't have enough diversity for you, you're next bet is the west coast, cuz Austin is the most diverse city in Texas...and yes, crazy expensive! Let us know what you decide.

Thanks but compared to Houston I would have to say Austin can't compare with diversity especially black(Caribbean-African) diversity.

I'm not an experienced nurse, just a graduate nurse, but thought I'd reply since I' also in the job market right now. I'm originally from Houston but now live in DFW. Now that I'm graduating I'm trying to move back to houston & get a job there. I like Houston more, however DFW is so large that there are soo many more opportunities. The job market is completely different in both places for grads. I was still waiting to hear back from applications in Houston by the time people here already had jobs secured. I would say apply to jobs in both Houston & Dallas & see who you hear from & make your decision that way. I do know someone who got a job in Austin, however I also know people who are now applying to jobs in Austin & are having trouble because of the limited selection of hospitals. Good luck!

+ Add a Comment