FNP vs. Adult/Gero

Nursing Students NP Students

Published

Specializes in Cardiac, Ortho, Med/Surg, ICU, Quality.

Hi NP's!

I have completed my first year of my FNP and have about two classes left before I start practicum. Because I selected FNP, I have to do a pediatric practicum. Problem is.....I don't really like kids all that much. It's just the way I am wired. For some reason I thought that once I graduated, I could choose where I wanted to work with my FNP but I was told (by my professor) that according to the Colorado State Board of Nursing, I had to see all ages including kids or my license could be in jeapordy. With that said, I would appreciate opinions on switching to Adult/Gero. As far as school goes, the Adult/Gero is basically the same as FNP but without the pediatric rotation.

I also would like to add that I am currently a corrections nurse and will be seeking employment as an NP in either a corrections or a prison system. There are no kids there and I would only see patients 18 years old and above.

Am I making a mistake by considering the change to Adult/Gero? If so, tell me why.

Thanks in advance for comments.

Specializes in Critical Care and ED.

As long as you can switch without losing any earned credits you should be ok, especially if you're not planning on working primary care or urgent care. I didn't want anything to do with kids either so I opted for the ACNP but I'm in the acute track which is critical care so I'd only see adults anyway.

Specializes in Cardiac, Ortho, Med/Surg, ICU, Quality.

I won't lose any credits if I remain in the same school, which I intend to do.

+ Add a Comment